Using AllWay Sync to backup to MBL

Hi.

Im trying to set-up a simple backup procedure to allow my Mother-in-law to backup to my MBL by Allway Sync or another solution such as Robocopy (altough i’d prefer Allway Sync as it seems simpler to implement/troubleshoot). She has just had a hard drive failure and almost lost everything (she didnt have any backups or anything) and im trying to make sure it doesnt happen again with a simple backup routine. 

AllWay Sync supports syncronisation with webDav folders (of which the MBL supports), yet Allway Sync cant seem to access my drive. I have an account with no-ip.com, and its setup as a DNS host, and correctly responds with my external IP address when pinged. Ive even tried supplying the base external IP address, and still no joy. 

Ive tried adding :443 (for secure connection) and :80, and both dont seem to work. Both ports 443 & 80 are forwarded to my MBL from my router. 

Has anybody else managed to connect this way, or have any pointers?

Thanks

I can’t  get webdav working but I did get allway sync working with sftp. 

Another option is bittorrent sync which is easier to install and use but for me, it caused my mybooklive to never sleep so I ended up uninstalling it.  Also, it only works when both source/receiver device are on and not sleeping.  Not a problem in your case since it’s a NAS/laptop pairing but didn’t work out for me for my cell phone.

Instructions for installing bittorrent sync on NAS were given   here

If you want to try allway sync with sftp and need help, just post again in your thread.  I’ll probably be playing with my NAS for another couple of weeks and checking in on this topic and can give you some instructions.

I don’t think the MBL can work remotely for automatic backups/sync unless you’re using FTP.

hmmm… Since you mentioned robocopy, I asssume you are taking about windows (TCP 445, 135-139). It should work. However, for it to work, it would imply you open the TCP ports over the internet, and those are NOT secure protocols. So it is not recommended.

The best bet, ssh tunneling. However, it is not as simple as it sounds, but google it and give it a try if you wish.

For non-windows systems, rsync and/or scp/sftp would be an option.

Hi,

SFTP would be great, so if I could have the instructions, then that would be much appreciated.

I would like to also try and restrict my “public” folder to admin only so it makes it even more secure as i will always have port 22 forwarded to my NAS. 

SFTP/SCP work over SSH. So just setup SSH and you are ready to go.

For Public folders attributes, nothing you can do. As the name states, it is public. However, you can only make two types of folders:

• Public

• Private

Check the manual for more info.

Can you move your public files into a private folder? I thought you could still stream media and select which users had access to your private folders though don’t quote me. Looks like shabuboy explained how to sftp.

The second set of instructions were hard for me to understand initially though I f figured it out after a bit. Hope it works for you but if not post again cause it should work.