Using a WD2500BEVS-22UST0 drive with a clam shell

Hello All,

I recently removed a WD2500BEVS-22UST0 from a defunct laptop with the intention of using it in a clam shell as an external hd. My problem is that the WD2500BEVS-22UST0 has a different connector than my clam shell. Is there some kind of adapter I need? I can see that in the laptop that I removed the WD2500BEVS-22UST0 from there is a connector attached permanantly to the MB of the laptop. Does anyone have thoughts on how I can adapt this HD for use as an external HD?

Thanks, 

Scott G

Hello,

Take a look at this link. 

Installing a WD SATA, SAS, or PATA drive in an external USB/NAS enclosure or Personal Video Recorder

In my case, the drive came out of a 2006-era HP Laptop. It appeared that the drive had a non-standard connector (with C320 2 AT368 stamped on it). This connector would not slide into any external enclosure… two plastic “handles” were preventing the drive from sliding in.

Grab the larger of the two handles (the one on the 15-pin side) and gently pull out from the drive. It turns out that the AT368 is an adapter. Once you remove the adapter, there are standard pins that will easily slide into the enclosure.

If you want a picture of the adapter once it has been removed, see this.

Coming from a 2006 era machine it could be an IDE drive which has a quite different connector than SATA drives. There are still some connector kits that provide an IDE to USB connection.