Using 2 routers - Network Share problem

I have an Actiontec router from Verizon Fios.  I have an ethernet cable running from this, under the house for around 50 feet or so to the living room, and connect this up to the WD Live.  This works flawlessly and with perfect Network share capability.

In the living room, due to the distance and several walls, we have poor wireless connectivity from the Actiontec router in the office with the main PC.

I had the bright idea (which is turning into a nightmare!) that I would get a Netgear Wirless Router (if it matters, WPN824NAR) and plug this up to the ethernet cable already in the living room for the WD Live.  And then use another ethernet cable from the Netgear router and plug that up to the WD Live.

When I do this, wireless connectivity in the living room is perfect and my wife is very happy she can sit on the sofa with a glass of wine and a laptop :slight_smile:

However, now the WD Live can’t do network shares.  When I use the “check connection” command, it ticks all the boxes.  I can connect to YouTube, Pandora, etc.  When I try for network shares, the light on the ethernet port I’m using on the Netgear flashes for a few seconds but then stops.

So for now I’ve put it all back the way it was.

I’m thinking it’s something to do with the 2 routers not “talking” to each other… but I’m not a networking expert and I’m getting a little lost.  Any help would be really appreciated.

For network shares to work, all the clients and sharers have to be in the same subnet, unless you have a WINS server running (which I doubt you do.)

I’m assuming that you’re hooking the NetGear’s WAN port up to the Fios LAN ports, which won’t work for sharing purposes.

Try hooking up the NetGear’s LAN to the FiOS LAN.   That’s what I do in my home.  Works fine that way.

In effect, that turns the NetGear into a WLAN Access Point instead of a Router.

Thank you.  I’ll give it a shot tonight.

How would that impact the wireless point in the lving room?  Would that basically make the VERIZON point stronger in the living room?  Presumably, if I tried to connect to NETGEAR it would but I’d have no internet connection.

Your assumptions about the WAN/LAN setup I have currently are correct.

Thanks again

Well, that did the trick!

Had to first disable DHCP in the second router and set a static IP address.

Then did the LAN/LAN connection rather than the WAN/LAN connection, and away it went.

I’m happily typing on my laptop on the wireless connection whilst watching a networked movie on the WD Live.  Perfect!

Thanks again

hobbes79 wrote:

Well, that did the trick!

Had to first disable DHCP in the second router and set a static IP address.

Then did the LAN/LAN connection rather than the WAN/LAN connection, and away it went.

I’m happily typing on my laptop on the wireless connection whilst watching a networked movie on the WD Live.  Perfect!

Thanks again

If you are happy when please press the solved button on the message which gave you the answer.

Hobbes, Congrats!  Welcome to the world of successful users.  :)

Anyway, to your other questions:   

Here’s my Wireless “Best Practices” for people who have TWO wireless AP’s going:

1>  SET the CHANNELS manually.  Do not use AUTO.

2>  Set the APs to TWO DIFFERENT CHANNELS; you can pick from 1,6,11 for B/G (and a whole bunch for N)

3>  Do NOT use channels 2-5, or 7-10.   

4>  Use the SAME SSID on both systems.   EXACTLY the same.

5>  Use the EXACT SAME security keys.

6>  If possible set the Wireless Transmitter Power to the lowest you can while still getting good signal strength on the clients.   (Keeps the Neighborhood Clean)

If this is done, mobile clients can roam between Access Points in milliseconds without losing connections.

I have THREE APs in my house, and they all play very nicely with each other.

What Bridge/Access Point would you guys recommend for connecting my new LIVE + to my Verizon Fios ActionTec MI424-WR rev E router?

I am considering the DLink DIR-615 Wireless N Router or the Linksys/Cisco WRT160N Ultra Range+ Wireless N Router (Remanufactured $50 at MicroCenter). Also looking into the Linksys/Cisco WUSB100 USB adapter, DLink Wireless 150 USB.

Thank you for your assistance in advance!

Jason