User Can ONLY Access Remotely

I purchased the MyCloud to use mainly as a local NAS solution. Ironically, I have a user that cannot access the MyCloud locally, but CAN access it remotely!

Specifically, her computer can ping the unit without issue. But no matter how many times I’ve checked and double-checked, she is denied access whenever she tries to access the unit through windows (\servername, \servername\share, etc.) and unlike the rest of the computers (all connected exactly the same way to the same WiFi network), the unit doesn’t show up in her Network locations as a computer that can be connected to. (It does show up under “storage,” but clicking this only brings up the web UI.)

Speaking of the web UI, when she attempts to access that, she is also denied, regardless of which local computer she tries to access it with.

On top of all this, if she goes to http://wd2go.com and enters her WD2Go password, followed by her actual MyCloud password, she can log right in, and even add shares as mapped drives!

Can anyone help? This is the first big problem of about 3 that I’m having. Thanks!

I’ve seen the disappearing MyCloud on my own home system.  Appears in Storage but not under Network just as you describe.  Meanwhile I can access the NAS with my iPhone. Strange.  The quickest fix I’ve seen is to reboot the client computer.  At least when I have done that the MyCloud device reappears in my Network devices.

SlimyPizza wrote:

I’ve seen the disappearing MyCloud on my own home system.  Appears in Storage but not under Network just as you describe.  Meanwhile I can access the NAS with my iPhone. Strange.  The quickest fix I’ve seen is to reboot the client computer.  At least when I have done that the MyCloud device reappears in my Network devices.

Thanks. Previous restarts didn’t work, but this one did. Now the server appears as a computer on the network, and the top level shares are visible. Unfortunately, the password issue remains and she is unable to login to any of the folders that she has permission for.

I had posted an answer to your problem but WD deleted it.

If you browse this forum you will find a lot of comments describing firmware bugs of MyCloud.
Imho it will take months or forever until you get a working firmware.
Since the box does not work as advertised the only fast solution is giving it back for a full refund.

I’m kind of in problem-solving mode, not give up mode. Can you point me to where someone has this exact issue and where it has shown that the firmware was at fault?

Perhaps this is my issue? If so, is there a layman’s way to fix it?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/SMB-Permission-problem-with-new-firmware-update/m-p/694190/highlight/true#M9339

What kind of computer is this person using?

The following may solve one problem. See image below. If using a computer other than Apple try a right click. Clicking on Open brings up my shares, clicking on the View device webpage brings up the Dashboard.

WDMCStorage.JPG

For myself when I click on the WDMYCLOUD my shares come up.

Next suggestion, does the computer have the same workgroup name as all the others on the Network. If not, changing it to have the same name may solve the My Cloud showing up as a computer on the network.

I want to add this, to find out more about something do a right click, if possible on your device, and see what comes up.

cat0w wrote:

What kind of computer is this person using?

The following may solve one problem. See image below. If using a computer other than Apple try a right click. Clicking on Open brings up my shares, clicking on the View device webpage brings up the Dashboard.

WDMCStorage.JPG

For myself when I click on the WDMYCLOUD my shares come up.

Next suggestion, does the computer have the same workgroup name as all the others on the Network. If not, changing it to have the same name may solve the My Cloud showing up as a computer on the network.

I want to add this, to find out more about something do a right click, if possible on your device, and see what comes up.

Thanks! For the record, the drive is now visible as a computer in most cases. The lingering problem is that a double- and triple-checked password won’t allow a login!