Use MyBook White Light drive as a standard HD?

Since the MyBook White Light Network Drive is so abysmally slow that it is totally useless for all anticipated uses, can it be re-purposed as a ‘regular’ hard drive, somehow? Could the drive be removed from its case and swapped into a Firewire or USB2 drive case and used as a regular HD?  As-is, it has sat on my desk for two years, totally useless, a total waste of my money, because its data transfer performance is intolerable.   I bought it with the intention of using it to hold a shared iPhoto library with two Macs, but quickly found that it moves images so abysmally slowly that working in iPhoto from either computer was a useless waste of time. I guess my assumption was that if it was a network drive, it would provide a user experience somewhat similar to what I experience from all network drives when working in an office environment where multiple users are on a Wiindows or Macintosh network.  I’d only recommend this drive if someone wanted to automate the occasional back up of data when the user is asleep or over a two day weekend…certainly not ever for any purposes where an actual user is attempting to interactively run progams that read and write data to/from this network drive in real time.

Yes you can, but also check the link below since some part of your network configuration might be making the transfer rate slower than it should.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5736/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NTQwNzk1OC9zaWQvd01BU2M2NGw%3D

Self-Annoyed wrote:

Since the MyBook White Light Network Drive is so abysmally slow that it is totally useless for all anticipated uses, can it be re-purposed as a ‘regular’ hard drive, somehow? Could the drive be removed from its case and swapped into a Firewire or USB2 drive case and used as a regular HD?  As-is, it has sat on my desk for two years, totally useless, a total waste of my money, because its data transfer performance is intolerable.   I bought it with the intention of using it to hold a shared iPhoto library with two Macs, but quickly found that it moves images so abysmally slowly that working in iPhoto from either computer was a useless waste of time. I guess my assumption was that if it was a network drive, it would provide a user experience somewhat similar to what I experience from all network drives when working in an office environment where multiple users are on a Wiindows or Macintosh network.  I’d only recommend this drive if someone wanted to automate the occasional back up of data when the user is asleep or over a two day weekend…certainly not ever for any purposes where an actual user is attempting to interactively run progams that read and write data to/from this network drive in real time.

You can try connecting the drive directly to the computer Ethernet port for better performance

otherwise, you can use as regular drive if you reformat.

Bare in mind this will remove the os on the drive and will become unusable on the enclosure that I came