USB & Wireless connectivity at the same time?

Looking for a way to do the following:

USER A: Connects to the My Passport Wireless Pro via USB (using the USB port not the charging port)

USER B: Can connect via Wi-Fi when needed to share files between user A and user B

User A is on a MacBook Pro
User B is on an iMac
Both computers are on the same Wi-Fi network

We purchased a USB-to-USB cable for User A’s computer BUT when the wireless is active it seems to supersede the wired connection. Anyway around this? Is there a way to FORCE the wired connection?

We do know connecting the USB cable supplied to power/recharge the devise will allow User A to connect and transfer BUT that disables the wireless entirely so then User B can not connect.

Any and all solutions appreciated.

Hi Hi_Fi_Guy ,

WD My Passport Wireless Pro is a device that can be connected via USB or WiFi connectivity however, USB & Wireless connectivity cannot be establish at the same time.

Such a disappointment. No where on the product webpage is this limitation mentioned:
https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

Only when downloading the PDF User Manual is this revealed.

Product is useless for our needs.

Me too. Same reason for purchase. I have to hook into the wireless to move files, but then I can’t use the internet? This is not really cool. Its the entire reason I have redundant data, which I purchased this to relieve me of.

This can easily be done, I am surprised no one told you how yet. In fact, I do not believe I had ever done it because I don’t need to, but I just did it and it only took a few moments.

All you need is a properly setup network that can do sharing of drives between computers. I am not going to explain all the details, but I will tell you what you need to do for the basics. If you don’t know if you have a network that can share drives between computers, then you don’t have this or you would know for sure, . So that is the first thing you need to have setup and ready.
I also don’t know if you have Macs or Windows PC. I use Windows, so what I am about to write pertains to Windows, but Macs can do the same things in their own way.

One more thing before we get going. Keep in mind that the wireless drive is first and foremost a DRIVE and can work the same ways as a basic external drive can.

So you have learned how to create an awesome home network so computers can share their internal and external drives with one another. First you set things up so the internal drives of each computer can be seen and shared. You know the sharing works once you do it. Now, take the MPW drive and connect it to it’s main computer, say A. Go into the computer OS settings/controls and select to share the MPW with others and share it to Everyone like you did with the internal drives.

Now that you have a proper network you can see folders/files on Computer A FROM computer B on the network, and vice versa. including the MPW on Computer A from B. Open some folders of MPW from Computer B. Easy, isn’t it?

Put your new special cable away; you don;t need it.

You now have some homework to do. Good luck setting this all up.

1 Like