USB splitter

Hi…can anyone confirm me if an USB splitter works on the WD Live TV to expand the number of USB ports to more than 2?

Thanks!

Zek

I have a usb hub with 7 usb ports and all work fine with the new b-rad firmware.

B-Rad’s firmware isn’t free and the WDTV Live Plus HD does NOT allow you to use a USB hub to expand the number of slots…at least it didn’t…unless the new firmware has changed that and I doubt it.

Wish they did support this though…

I have a belkin 4 USB hub plugged into my WDTV Live in the USB1 socket, works fine with Hard Disk and Wireless adapter plugged into it, have another Hard Disk plugged into the USB2 socket, am on newest firmware.

Don’t think there is a way to run more than 1 hard disk from each socket if that was your intention, power is another thing to think about - the USB splitter I use is mains powered so the hard disk and wireless adapter are not sucking the juice out of USB1 dry.

I was wondering the same thing, I currently have a wireless USB adapter plugged into one USB port and a 1TB external hard drive plugged into the 2nd USB port.  I would like to add a wireless keyboard and was wondering if a powered USB hub would work before I go out and buy one.

@GC-MD

B-Rad’s custom firware is absolutely free. Don’t know where/how you heard otherwise.

Tony101 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, I currently have a wireless USB adapter plugged into one USB port and a 1TB external hard drive plugged into the 2nd USB port.  I would like to add a wireless keyboard and was wondering if a powered USB hub would work before I go out and buy one.

will give it a go for you later :smiley:

GC-MD wrote:

B-Rad’s firmware isn’t free and the WDTV Live Plus HD does NOT allow you to use a USB hub to expand the number of slots…at least it didn’t…unless the new firmware has changed that and I doubt it.

Wish they did support this though…

It is free

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=62

Hello,

I connected one  “4 usb” hub at the rear of the box,then plugged the disk and the wireless wifi adaptor.

I use a mini wireless keyboard (lenovo N5901 ) and plugged its  receiver in the 2nd usb port .

It works fine

Finally got round to testing it, latest firmware.

USB 1: 4 port powered hub, wireless adapter – wireless keyboard – portable hard disk.
USB 2: Desktop hard disk.

Watched 1080p films ok from both drives, checked weather ok, loaded Youtube and used wireless keyboard to type in the search box and pressed enter to watch video.

All working fine, and quite pleased that the wireless keyboard lag bug has now completely gone with this latest update.

Thanks for testing markinuk.

Just one more question, what make/ model USB hub and wireless keyboard are you using?

You are using WD TV Live official firmware Release 1.04.17 (12/30/10) and not b-rad’s custom firmware right?

Thanks

The wireless keyboard is an old TRUST one with no model number on it, the hub was a BELKIN usb2 powered pocket hub, and I am on the official firmware Release 1.04.17v, am at the moment running with a portable drive in USB1 and a NON powered 4 port hub in USB2 with wireless adapter - wireless keyboard and a mains powered desktop hard disk plugged into it. The b-rad’s firmware sounds like it is happy to have more than the one hard disk per USB socket, but I’m happy sticking with the official firmware.

Thanks again markinuk…