USB Questions

Hi,

1, If I get a SATA2 to USB and IDE to USB cables, can I attach my harddrive and DVD-ROM to WDTV Live? I saw an external case for HDD/DVD with USB-B on case side and Type-A on the other end. Will it work?

2, I know usb hubs are not supported. But is it multiple usb drives are not supported or even a single usb device in the hub also not supported. I saw few telling that frequent plug & unplug of usb device will make the device loose and thereafter render unuable.

Regards,

Prakash.

HPrakash wrote:

Hi,

1, If I get a SATA2 to USB and IDE to USB cables, can I attach my harddrive and DVD-ROM to WDTV Live? I saw an external case for HDD/DVD with USB-B on case side and Type-A on the other end. Will it work?

2, I know usb hubs are not supported. But is it multiple usb drives are not supported or even a single usb device in the hub also not supported. I saw few telling that frequent plug & unplug of usb device will make the device loose and thereafter render unuable.

Regards,

Prakash.

1. I doubt this will work but I have not tried it. The DVD-ROM cannot be connected.

2. Hubs do not work but you could use a USB extension lead.

Yes, Number 1 will probably work.   I have two SATA drives in SATA to USB enclosures.   They work fine. 

DVD-ROM will probably NOT work unless the IDE to USB presents itself to the host as a HARD DRIVE instead of a DVD.   I’ve not seen one that does that, though.

Hi,

1, I saw an adapter here at http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php?id=supported_usb_devices, so that I asked. If it is sure, I will buy one.

2, DVDROM with udf format, cannot read by wdtv, I think. I just want to know where DVDROM with FAT32 will work?

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Prakash.