USB Powered Hub (Will it Work)

I have 2 external hard drives (3TB each) I would like to use a USB Hub to connect both drives to the rear port of the SMP, and use the front port for a wireless keyboard or flash drives, Is this possible and if so, is there a limit of drives I can attach?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/p/208,393/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MjI1ODEzNS9zaWQvcllOU0Zha2w%3D

That didn’t explain what I was asking, I don’t need a list of compatible drives. My question is can I attach a powered USB hub to the rear port of the SMP and connect multiple external drives to it. Leaving the front port open for a wireless keyboard or thumb drive.

Hi. I don’t have a USB hub connected to my SMP but I do have a USB hub connected to a USB port off of the back of my Live Hub (with 3 external drives connected to the USB hub), and it works fine - I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work with the SMP. The key thing is, make sure the USB Hub has an external power source.

Now my second question, Now that I have the (wall powered USB Hub) connected and have two external drives connected to the USB hub and connected to the rear port of the SMP. If I want to add content to one of the drives and I eject the drive, will the SMP eject the USB hub and all drives connected or can you choose the one you want to eject. I know I should upgrade to a NAS system and access the files via the network, only problem right now is I’m still using Windows XP and I would have to get a router that will allow a network connection. I like having my drives attached to the SMP, it’s faster and I can add database content like thumbgens and info on any movie I have.

DBROWN wrote:

That didn’t explain what I was asking, I don’t need a list of compatible drives. My question is can I attach a powered USB hub to the rear port of the SMP and connect multiple external drives to it. Leaving the front port open for a wireless keyboard or thumb drive.

please try reading again,

how about the section titled

Powered USB Hubs

You can choose which is ejected. Though it can be confusing if the titles for the drives are similar.

Be careful connecting USB 3.0 drive to the rear port.
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/td-p/392589

Went and purchased a powered USB Hub (Generic brand) and it works great, I attached 4 drives and it see them all just great. This is good news since now I can utilize the front USB port for thumbdrives and a wireless keyboard. Thanks all!