USB light flashes for a few seconds then nothing? (Lacie 500GB Rugged HD via USB Cable)

So I did a search but could not find anyone else with this particular issue.  I plug in the LACIE 500GB Rugged drive via the USB cable and the USB light on the WD Live flashes and the drive starts to spin, etc, but after about 10 flashes the flashing stops and the light is off… the drive continues to spin, but the WD does not read the drive.  This is what I’ve tried so far:

1. ‘Eject’ the drive from a PC

2. Reboot, reset button, reset settings, hard reboot, etc

3. Updated to latest firmware

4. Tested thumbdrive on WD Live…works fine!

I have not yet run CHKDSK yet, so I will try that tonight, etc.

Any other ideas?!?!  So frustrating.

I know that all external drives do not work – I have one myself that I gave up on (so I attached it to my computer and use it as a network share).

I’d check the recommened/tested list to see if that drive is on there.  If not, then get another drive (good news is that they are dirt cheap nowadays).

mkelley wrote:

I know that all external drives do not work – I have one myself that I gave up on (so I attached it to my computer and use it as a network share).

I’d check the recommened/tested list to see if that drive is on there.  If not, then get another drive (good news is that they are dirt cheap nowadays).

I think the basic fact is that if it is not a Western Digital drive than it is not on the list.

richUK wrote:

I think the basic fact is that if it is not a Western Digital drive than it is not on the list.

Well, that narrows down a drive search, then (LOL).

I guess the alternative is to buy from Amazon or a B/M store like Best Buy (here in the U.S., mate) that allows for free returns in 30 days.  Or to ask others here – perhaps somewhere on this forum there’s a thread of drives that work?

I have a Maxtor (Seagate) 250Gb usb powered HDD, works like a charm.