USB Issue

This will hopefully be a final post by me on this topic, about this product and most importantly my final verdict on WD Support and hence WD as an organisation. After much delay and the effort from some limited persons in WD Support as well as the moderator of this topic, I did receive the FREE replacement components. The delay was of almost 15 days from the date committed to me. The final resolution was further delayed due to the courier charging me local taxes (he refused to hand over the box till I made the payment and was ready to take it back), till the issue was finally settled after almost a week, when I had to travel from one end of the city to the other to get the tax amount refunded. Till that time and even till today I have not even used the drive because WD Support has been totally remiss in answering the following questions, put to them not once but twice (except for the usual system generated mail, acknowledging the questions, there has not been a cheep out of them in over 20 days). Again, a most unsatisfactory and shocking state that a customer has to endure. I would indeed be grateful to hear from any other forum members who might have raised similar questions and got some meaningful reply… My questions - 1. The My Book 3.0 box was sealed when I opened the outer packing box. 2. After removing the plastic wrap and taking out the drive itself (that too had a sealed plastic wrap, which as yet I have not removed and will not till I get your feedback), I observe that the Part no. on the box WDBABP0020HCH-00 is different than one on the drive itself, which is WDBAAK0020HCH-00. Is that kosher? After your response, I shall venture to open and use the drive. 3. The Serial no. in both places is the same - [deleted]. 4. Have I now to register this replacement on the WD site afresh? 5. My observation from the outside indicates that the female USB 3.0 port is very much the same. My contention, from the start, has has been that the poor design/manufacturing quality has been responsible for the socket having come out from the PCB. 6. If nothing has been improved in the interim, I am quite likely to face the same problem. Then what? 7. Besides my being careful and gentle (which I always am with all my equipment), I would appreciate knowing if you have any guidelines to not be faced with this problem? Excuse the long post but whilst ending I would like to mention that I had to take up an issue for an unsatisfactory Panasonic product bought from Amazon around the same time as this WD one. Panasonic turned out much, much worse than WD, in that till today they have even failed to get back to me once. On the other hand, when the matter was brought to the attention of Amazon, they settled the issue in less than 24 hours. A most amazing experience sitting almost 15,000 miles away and deserving of the highest accolades. Truly, Amazon is a world-class organisation. Aarmin

aarmin wrote:

1. The My Book 3.0 box was sealed when I opened the outer packing box.
  1. After removing the plastic wrap and taking out the drive itself (that too had a sealed plastic wrap, which as yet I have not removed and will not till I get your feedback), I observe that the Part no. on the box WDBABP0020HCH-00 is different than one on the drive itself, which is WDBAAK0020HCH-00. Is that kosher? After your response, I shall venture to open and use the drive.

A quick look through the manual says that

• WDBABP0020HCH-00 comes with the HBA
  • WDBAAK0020HCH-00 is the standalone version

The drive will be identical in both instances… the only difference is whether the box includes the HBA as well.  A box marked WDBAAK0020HCH-00 on a store shelf won’t have the HBA inside.