USB Hub

sorry to reply to my own topic, but after trying some more fiddling and this topic from this user http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WD-TV-Live-does-not-see-shared-windows-USB-drives-that-are/m-p/666739/highlight/true#M27544 i was finally able to get it to work.

for anyone who doesn’t have the IRPStackSize value just go his route and create it, but set the value to 20. again i have a windows 8.1 OS and that worked for me. don’t know if it’s different based on OS version, but like that user said just continue trying incrementally until your WD product recognizes it. you don’t even need to recreate the share once plugged into your hub like i initially did.

not knocking the woman i spoke to on the phone from tech support, but she was adamant from the beginning this product wouldn’t recognize shares if plugged into a hub. kind of makes you wonder what western digital is doing having people on tech support if they can’t figure out their own issues. big thanks to pallas from the original thread where i found the solution. hope this helps anyone else who encounters this probem.