USB Flash Drive Compatibility List Thread

It’d be great if all of us can list the flash drives that do and don’t work with WD Live TV…

These 2 DONT work

Kingston Data Traveler G2 16 GB

Kinston Data Traveler 101 16 GB

I’ve checked various forums, and I noticed that flash drives above 4GB don’t seem to wok, maybe I’m wrong (hopefully)

Kingston datatraveler mini 2 GB works!

Just tested the following:

Transcend RDS5 SDHC card reader together with a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card.   Works.

Corsair Flash Voyager CMFUSB2.0-4GB  (the ‘Blue’ one).   Works.

corsair flash voyager 16gb works as well

Verbatim Store n Go 8GB

Corsair Flash Voyager 4GB

Hitachi Simple Drive Mini 320GB (no separate AC plug !)

all perfect

Transcend SD card reader (TS-RDS1)  with 32GB SD card (adata SDHC 32GB turbo class 6) works

Lacie netapp branded 8GB iamaKey (usb idProduct 0x1027) does not work.

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler DT1/8GB works fine

Kingston DataTraveler DT100/4Gb works fine

Kingston DataTraveler DT100/8Gb dont work :frowning:

Kinston Data Traveler 101 8 GB don’t work.

My SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB does not work with my WD TV HD Generation 1.  It’s probably too slow.

(With WD TV HD Generation 1)

SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2 GB works fine.

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 2 GB works fine.

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 4 GB works fine.

Ativa 8 GB works fine.

sandisk cruzer 16G works

gelyon wrote:

My SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB does not work with my WD TV HD Generation 1.  It’s probably too slow.

(With WD TV HD Generation 1)

SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2 GB works fine.

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 2 GB works fine.

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 4 GB works fine.

Ativa 8 GB works fine.

The WDTV Gen1 uses different hardware and different firmware to the WDTV Live.  Including those in this list is a bit misleading, as there’s no guarantee they will work in the WDTV Live.

Please make sure you’re in the correct forum before posting.  The forum for WDTV Gen1 is located here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/bd-p/tv_hd

Jeez, I thought I was in the WD TV HD Gen 1 thread. I now see the first post here says in the second line “WD TV Live”.  I give up.

gelyon wrote:

Jeez, I thought I was in the WD TV HD Gen 1 thread. I now see the first post here says in the second line “WD TV Live”.  I give up.

I agree. If the hardware is sooooo different from one box to the next that we can’t even get usb network support just like the Live has, how can we be guaranteed that one USB drive works from one box to the next?

Bill, why was this moved here?

My apologies to everyone, this thread does belong here.  I misunderstood what PixelPower was referring to. 

Also, I want to add that from Gen1 to Gen2 there may be a difference in what USB drives are compatible and what aren’t.  However, with Gen2 and WD TV Live, there shouldn’t (and I underline shouldn’t) be any difference in which USB drives work. 

Hello everyone,
are new to the forum, and Italian.
2 days ago I bought the WD HD Player (not live) and I must say it is a good product.
Until I was immediately disappointed: I copied a PEN DRIVE TV series and I realized that no point was read by WD.
Since all coded the same way (not by me) I suppose the problem is either firmware or the pen used WD.
But the pen is detected correctly and you can browse the files there inside, no problems, so I assume that maybe it’s an issue of WD.
The problem comes when you try to play a file, it appears the error message where it says that the format is not supported.
Using mediainfo I could see that the files are all encoded with Xvid and just mpeg-Layer3 theory thus fully supported by WD!

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4550/wderror.jpg

Looking through the firmware versions of my WD Gen2 I noticed that the latest firmware back to last year!
Someone can help me understand the problem?

@Job314

You’re suffering from the same problem i am. There’s a thread about it over here http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Unable-to-play-selected-file/td-p/3851 Still no solution though.

My problem is with a 16GB Kingston Datatraveller. Guess its not supported. Don’t know why.

Confirm.

KingSton DataTraveler 100 - 8 GB don’t work.

The same files from External HDD 320 gb works good.

With kingstone, it’s possible browse the files, but not play anything of else, that appear the error “unsupported format” etc…

Got the Kingston DataTraveler G2 with 8GB - and it doesnt work. I can browse files but it won’t play the media. Well i could really go mad about this because i bought that stick just for the player!

Also don’t work: SUPERTALENT Pico-C 2GB (… well, it worked fine with fw 1.01.17, but stopped after i’ve updated to 1.02.21, and guess what, i made the update from the same stick. what the heck…!?

SUPERTALENT Pico-C 4GB (the golden one) - works! 2gb not working, 4gb does. anyone understand that?

also working: some no-name 1GB stick i got for free.

All of’em formatted with the same file system?  (FAT32, that is…)