USB external drives showing 0kb

I have been contacted no less than 3 times regarding the wdmc connectivity problem. I would like to think that this problem is getting the attention it deserves. As stated in previous post the expansion usb port is a major selling point of the wdmc and I for one would consider it a deal breaker should I not be able to take advantage of it. I also agree that I should not have to buy a specific brand of expansion drive to use the usb port, that was not suggested when I made the purchase?

I have tried Seagate, Toshiba and wd expansion drives…still no joy:{{

I have a 3TB Seagate Desktop Plus arriving today from warranty replacement. I fully expect this drive to plug into my WD My Cloud 3TB drive (working nicely, but I want to continue placing my media in “the cloud”) and work, without any workaround necessary. Any updates or suggestions?

Just confirmation: Plugging in a new and functioning Seagate Desktop Backup Plus 3TB drive into the USB port of the WD My Cloud 3TB does not work; it is not recognized.

Just received my Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB driver from Amazon today, plugged it into my WD MyCloud, and bummer.  0 KB.  I tried reformatting and ejecting from PC, but still no luck.

Man I wish I’d read this forum first.

UPDATE:

After trying for over an hour every possible way to format my Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB drive, I only had 2 results.  Either it was not seen by the WD MyCloud, or it showed up with 0 KB. 

So, I jumped back on Amazon, processed a Return for the Seagate, and bought a WD MyBook 4TB drive with 1 day shipping (about $20 total more than the Seagate).

I received it about 15 minutes ago, and I’m already connected and it shows up on my WD MyCloud as a connected USB device with 4TB available.

It did NOT show up the first time I connected it however.  I opened the box and plugged it into my WD MyCloud, waiting 3 minutes, but no USB.  So, I did two things (not sure which made the difference):

• I ran the shut down on the WD MyCloud, then started it back up (without the MyBook attached).

• I connected the MyBook to my PC (Win 7 Pro), waited until it found it, browsed it (but didn’t change any settings), then ejected it.

• Then I reconnected the MyBook to the MyCloud, waiting around 30 seconds until the USB icon enabled, and viola… available 4TB.

I plan on using the 4TB MyBook drive solely to run weekly back ups (using Safepoints) of my 4 TB WD MyCloud for offsite storage (technically onsite in my fire/water proof safe).  So this set up has met my needs.

Unfortunately, I could not get any of my other external USB drives to be seen by the WD MyCloud, but that was just troubleshooting as I could connect them to my PC and then copy their content over to the MyCloud for the sake of moving their data to the NAS.

Thanks for the update. Be aware of this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/My-Cloud-disconneted-itself-from-network/td-p/607675/highlight/false

This seems to be a known problem with the “uas” driver and the Debian linux distro.

See here:  http://www.kurokatta.org/grumble/2013/07/seagate-usb-enclosure-linux

Unfortunately the WD Mycloud uses “uas” as a builtin kernel module and hence cannot be black listed as described in this article  ( I tried)

I also have a Seagate 3TB external, that one works fine, the 4TB has this issue. (have them on a USB hub)

Note the difference:

[11.404859] scsi2 : uas <— This is the 4TB, does NOT WORK
[11.418380] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate Backup+ Desk 050B PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[11.439262] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[84.055294] scsi3 : usb-storage 2-1.1:1.0 <— This is the 3TB - WORKS
[85.054933] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate Backup+ Desk D802 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[85.063776] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

So those of you with NON-WORKING drives, maybe you can ssh in to your WD Mycloud and run this command in blue:

WDMyCloud:/etc# dmesg | grep scsi[0-9]
[7.949096] scsi0 : ahci_platform
[7.953172] scsi1 : ahci_platform
[11.404859] scsi2 : uas <---- BAD driver
[84.055294] scsi3 : usb-storage 2-1.1:1.0

I would be REAL curious to see if ALL that don’t work show as “uas” driver controlled.

If we have enough correclation on the uas driver maybe WD can FIX IT!!!

A little more fuel to the fire.  The WD MyCloud is running a version of Debian linux specifically: version 3.2.26

The UAS driver was disabled in a later release of Debian due to known issues:

linux (3.2.35-1) unstable; urgency=low

* usb: Disable UAS; it is known to be broken, and the supported devices can also work with usb-storage

Reference:

http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs/main/l/linux/linux_3.2.51-1_changelog

We need WD to disable this driver and our USB 3.0 external drives should work!

Thanks for the update. I’ve sent an update to my open trouble ticket with WD requesting this be fixed. Just one person though! 

I too have an open ticket (at the end of Oct) on the same problem.  Today I received an email stating

"…this issue has been reported and we are currently working in order to fix this problem within the next Firmware Update, for which we request patience. "

Good.  Sounds like maybe they are looking at this uas driver issue…

The new firmware has remove the uas driver.

Please upgrade firmware and re-test any USB drives that were showing 0KB.

Mine works fine now!

1 Like

Sadly my Seagate 3tb still shows 0kb. :frowning:

Any word on a fix for seagate drives? Next firmware release? Sigh.

My Seagate 3 TB is working now with the update.

My 4tb cloud is finally working!! Now what can be done to get the data transfer moving faster??  i understand a lot depends on upload speed. 

Just spoke w/ support, apparently the new firmware works for wdmycloud drives smaller than 2.5tb. A forth coming firmware update is suppossed to fix the 0kb issue for those of us with larger mycloud drives.

“We are currently awaiting an update to the FirmWare for a fix to this issue. As of right now drives that are larger than 2.5 TB are having the same issue that you are having.”