USB-C drives spin slower than USB-A. Why?

I’m curious why the USB-C desktop drives are limited to 5400 rpm when old-fashioned USB-A spin at 7200. Any ideas?

The interface itself doesn’t change that, It was just a design choice and also it is based on capacity. The drives that are 5400RPM inside are using WD drives.

Thanks for your reply, Rydia.

To me it’s a step backwards. I could understand it for portable HDDs, to save power, but not for desktop ones. I like my current USB-A G drive but my available iMac ports are USB-C. I don’t want my next HDD to be slower than my previous one!

I shall look elsewhere.

I’ve had a thought (!) Can the USB-A drives be bought with USB-C cables. And if not, would they work with USB-C cables. I’d just need to know how to describe the connection into the HDD, i.e. USB-C to what? Not sure if the port on G drives is unique or an industry standard.

You mean USB Type-C to Micro-B 3.1 Cable? You can find it on Google

https://www.google.com/search?ei=25KWW8uzH5Ha_wSs5rPQDQ&q=usb+3.1+type-c+to+micro-b+cable&oq=micro+B+to+type-c+cable&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i30j0i8i30l9.13362.15758..21762...0.0..0.72.522.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i7i30j0i8i7i30j0i8i7i10i30.3hK2DXiBqcM

If the port on a G-Drive USB HDD is Micro-B 3.1, then that’s what I want. Thanks, jebusx

… But on looking at pix of Micro-B, I don’t think that would fit the G-Drive port, which looks to me like Type-B — but I can’t be sure.

Just check the end of your cable that connect to the G-Drive. You can go to USB - Wikipedia to search the name of the cable end call
Then from there you can Google to see if anyone sell the cable you need like Micro B female to Type -C

Do you know why they went with this design choice? What’s the advantage of using a 5400rpm for a desktop drive?