USB Backup Failure - settings question

I have this problem too, not all USB backup jobs will complete. This seems more likely to occur with a large number of files, not necessarily with large file sizes. I have several large folders successfully backing up, but one with lots of files and subdirectories fails out of the gate. One of the backups is my TimeMachineBackups folder, which contains time machine backups from 2 separate Macbooks; it’s backing up just fine.

This is terribly inconvenient. Not just the backup failures, but the fact that I can’t just back up the entire EX2 to a USB drive. Is there any good reason for this? I have to create a backup job for every folder, and I can’t even schedule them. This seems, at best, like an oversight for a product that’s intended to reliably secure my data. Along with my EX2 I bought a WD MyBook so I could provide another layer of redundancy for the EX2. As it turns out, I can’t just back up my EX2 to the USB drive, a real shame.

From this thread it looks like the backup failure problem has been an issue for some time, so it seems the chances of getting it resolved are slim at best. That, along with the fact that I can’t just back up my EX2 to an external drive is a bit of a deal breaker, and I may just return the whole $600 mess to Amazon and look for another solution.