Usb 3.0 to my cloud, atrocious speed, resets of USB bus?

I have a brand new (48 hour old) my cloud. I wanted to move about 100 Gb of largish video files from an NTFS disk with a USB 3.0 port.

I connected the disk to the back of the “my cloud”.

I logged in to the my cloud and tried copying with a “cp -r”. After 20 min, I stopped it and wondered if something was wrong. It had not finished many Gb.

I tried copying via a tar … | tar xf … This was not much better, but I had a look. Yes it was copying, just amazingly slowly.

I gave up, put the drive on a laptop and did the copying from a windows machine over the network via a cable.

I was done in 20 min.

Clearly, despite the network overhead and going via a windows graphical interface, it was more than an order of magnitude faster.

I looked on the “my cloud” and in /var/log/messages there are 1000’'s of lines like:

Sep  6 15:35:02 myname kernel: [12583.347053] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep cfe5bb2c
Sep  6 15:35:13 myname kernel: [12594.249376] usb 2-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
Sep  6 15:35:13 myname kernel: [12594.268970] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep cfe5bb00

What does this mean and why is USB so slow on this device ?

Before anyone tells me, the firmware on the “my cloud” is the latest (4.something)

Many thanks for any comments or advice

Hello,

Have you tried a reset and/or a power cycle after the firmware update?