EDIT: Since I’m not getting feedback on my issue (I know it’s a pain to be greeted by a wall of text) - I’ll just ask a simple question:
Anybody out there using any of the WD USB 3.0 external drives? If so, any problems?
you may want to skip the rest of this
I have 2 of the WD My Passport SE 1tb drives. My main laptop is a new Lenovo X220 with one USB 3.0 port.
Here’s where I am now:
1. Each drive worked fine on the USB 3.0 port when only one drive was installed (that is, the second was NOT connected via a USB 2.0 port).
2. Only one drive was recognized if both were connected to the laptop. I solved this by going to Disk Management and right clicking “offline” to turn “online”
3. Obviously, I don’t want to do step 2 everytime, so I renamed my drives: My Passport Red and My Passport Blue. Everything seemed to work fine.
4. I then connected my Red drive to my desktop to transfer files - I only have USB 2.0 on the desktop. Everything worked fine.
5. I come back to the laptop and the Red drive is not recognized by the USB 3.0 port - nothing shows in “My Computer” or in Disk Management. It does connect properly through USB 2.0 (and I get domething like “this device can perform faster by connecting to USB 3.0 port”)
Still on the laptop, I disconnect Red and plug in Blue - it works just fine in the USB 3.0 port.
Connect Red to a USB 2.0 port and am now backing up my Red files to the Blue drive.
I’ve searched here and read what I can find about USB 3.0 not working - my drivers seem to be fine, cables seem okay - although I can switch them once my backup finishes if there are no other ideas.
I’m still in the testing phase with all this, but thought I’d throw it out here in case one of you can lead me in the right direction.
Thanks - and sorry for the long post.