USB 2.0 connection

I would like to get a NAS drive as I have two computers and I want to share files. I want to transfer 50gb of music and I have a 100mbs router. Would this take a long time? If I upgraded to 1gb, would this be much faster?

I was told that WD drives do not allow copying of files via USB, only via ethernet.  It would be great if they had copying of files via usb for the initial mass copying of files.

Would this take a long time?

Yes :wink: 100mbit has about 6-8mb/s netto.

If I upgraded to 1gb, would this be much faster?

If you upgrade your LAN to 1GB, its of course much faster!

You can also connect an USB Drive via the USB Port and copy then via the “Copy Manager” the Data to your NAS. Did this last week without problems. So you come up to about 15-17mb/s. Copied so 810GB in ~13,5h

Thanks. Is the copy manager within the NAS software?

So it is 15-17 mbs per second for USB 2.0?

I suppose if I got hard drive usb 3.0, it would be 10 times faster. Is it compatible?

The only thing holding me up buying the NAS is making sure I can copy the data via usb 2.0 since I have a lot of data.

Thanks. Is the copy manager within the NAS software?

Yes, in the dropdown list at login page.

So it is 15-17 mbs per second for USB 2.0?

Yes

I suppose if I got hard drive usb 3.0, it would be 10 times faster. Is it compatible?

No, this NAS only supports USB 2.0

sure I can copy the data via usb 2.0 since I have a lot of data

You can. For inital copy it takes a while, just copy over “night”.

Once again 810GB takes for me ~13,5h

But if you would often copy a much of data, switch to a Gigabit Network. This should be about 40-50mb/s

Thanks. I am reading this correct. That a gigabit ethenet is nearly 3 times faster than USB 2.0? (40-50 mbs)