Usage while no internet connection

Hi, I am planning to buy WD My Cloud and had a few questions:

1. Lets say that my broadband is not working (there is a cable fault on my service provider’s side. My modem/router is OK). Will it be possible to access the contents of My Cloud? I think I read somewhere that it is possible using 169.* IP address but I am not sure.

2. If there is a sudden power outage while I am reading from My Cloud, will it cause any harm? I know that power outage while writing can brick the drive.

Thanks.

oyenamit wrote:

Hi, I am planning to buy WD My Cloud and had a few questions:

1. Lets say that my broadband is not working (there is a cable fault on my service provider’s side. My modem/router is OK). Will it be possible to access the contents of My Cloud? I think I read somewhere that it is possible using 169.* IP address but I am not sure.
  1. If there is a sudden power outage while I am reading from My Cloud, will it cause any harm? I know that power outage while writing can brick the drive.

Thanks.

1. Yes, it’s possible – and no different than if your internet is up.  No need for changing IP addresses as long as YOUR internal network is still functioning normally…

2. It’s always possible.  Even if YOU are not writing to the disk at some point in time, the system within the My Cloud might be writing itself…

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

So, for #2, the solution is to use a supported UPS, right?

I did not see that mentioned anywhere in the user manual for My Cloud.

it is always possiable to not recover from a power failure just like with a PC however it is not very likely

when it comes back on it could take a very long time to repair the disk, be patient. typicaly only a few minutes but could stretch to many hours depending on the state when power failed

A UPS is always a good idea but not a criticle item unless you have a lot of power issues then I would be sure to get a line interactive one

1 Like

Lets say that my broadband is not working (there is a cable fault on my service provider’s side. My modem/router is OK). Will it be possible to access the contents of My Cloud?

Maybe I’m stating the obvious here … As long as you are int the same network segment as your My Cloud you should be able to access, but if you’re attempting to acceess remotely, say from a work location, you will NOT be able to access.

1 Like

PJPfeiffer wrote:

Maybe I’m stating the obvious here … As long as you are int the same network segment as your My Cloud you should be able to access, but if you’re attempting to acceess remotely, say from a work location, you will NOT be able to access.

I should have been more clear. Yes, I was talking about accessing from the same network segment as My Cloud and not from a remote location. Thanks for your answer.