URGENT need Firmware version for WD2000JS-19MHB0

Hello,

I need to recover data from my Western Digital HDD but i don’t have original Firmware version.

Model details:

WD2000JS-19MHB0

DCM: DSBHC TJ AH

Product of Malaysia .

FIRMWARE VERSION - 025KC

Can anyone help me finding the original firmware version?

Call WD, I don’t think anyone else could the firmware for you.

Should i call Malaysia where the HDD was produced or Europe?

SebastianPreda wrote:

Hello,

I need to recover data from my Western Digital HDD but i don’t have original Firmware version.

Model details:

WD2000JS-19MHB0

DCM: DSBHC TJ AH

Product of Malaysia .

FIRMWARE VERSION - 025KC

Can anyone help me finding the original firmware version?

how is the firmware version going to help you recover the data?  the firmware runs the drive, but if the drive failed physically, the firmware isn’t going to help you.

what is the drive doing/not doing?

Computer got stuck while shutting down and try to write the HDD. I had to restart as it stayed like this for a while and on reboot the HDD was not recognized on BIOS and was making strange noises, computer was trying to identify what is the component and after a while was skipping the process and continue with windows loading.

I sent it to a recovery data company that informed the heads are burned and they don’t have spare heads to replace and i sent it to second company that found the firmware version installed is not the original one mentioned on the HDD and it would be impossible for them to decrypt the data. They said that if they get the compatible firmware version they can try to activate only some of the heads or try more things with the latest very expensive devices they have so first step would be to get the Firmware and then a spare similar HDD for components.

Considerign the fact that first company had access to original firmware and now are refusing to admit they changed anything to hard drive or maybe didn’t even bothered to save the original version i doubt even the heads are the issue so maybe the second company will be able to help more if right Firmware is found.

you might want to check wd’s list of partner data recovery companies.  they should be more familiar with how wd drives work, and should be able to recreate the firmware.  you won’t find it otherwise.

This is the first time i hear about recreating a firmware, is this possible? All the recommended data recovery companies would be able to do this?

I didn’t really mean recreate.  most likely they may have access to pcbs and processes, including reflashing firmware, from wd, to get to the data in the drives.  how much I wouldn’t even know.  and it may depend on which companies that could do this.  they may not even need any firmware to get at the data. 

You are a little bit confusing, i understand that the data is encypted and only with the original firmware version it can be decrypted, can you confirm your informations that it would be possible for the data to be retrieved without original software OR you are just supposing???

SebastianPreda wrote:

You are a little bit confusing, i understand that the data is encypted and only with the original firmware version it can be decrypted, can you confirm your informations that it would be possible for the data to be retrieved without original software OR you are just supposing???

what I’m saying is that if the data recovery company is worth its salt, it should be able to get at the data more than one way.  I don’t think it has to “recreate” the firmware.  However, if the data is encrypted, and you don’t have the password, then nobody will be able to recover the data.  The most important thing for recovering data from an encrypted drive will be the password.