Upload stops at 999mb

I have no idea how to map the device as a disk…can you provide some basic instructions…and I mean BASIC…lol

If you haven’t already done so it is strongly recommended one read the WD My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) as it explains how to “map” a My Cloud device. See Chapter 3 Getting Started > Getting to the Public Share > Using Mac OS X Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion for the general steps. Or see the following WD Support document that has general details how to map a network drive/Share under Macintosh: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=2686

Tried both steps but still fails to connect. Regardless what I do my Mac Version El Capitan 10.11.1 will not recognise the drive and to top it off…WP didn’t contact me and are not offering any support to rectify the issue. I’ve had a gutful!

Regardless what I do my Mac Version El Capitan 10.11.1 will not recognise the drive

There’s a bug in ElCap. See other threads. Apple are developing a fix for their problem, currently in beta testing.

Me too. Same issue. New MyCloud 4TB. Using the desktop WD MY CLOUD app.
I want to use this app. Not interested in some other way, this should just work.
Using an iMac with latest os and no its NOT Apple’s issue, its an WD issue, so don’t tell me to contact Apple or complain to Apple.

I remember this issue with other products way way back in the 1990’s when using windows XP. Is that were we are at with WD technology? Stuck at 999 MB limitations? Really?
And since WD nor their tech support has resolved this 999MB limitation, or even responded in the forums, I guess that is where we are. Back in the 1990’s.

My comment about El Cap was about mapping the drive into the Apple’s file system. There is an Apple bug with that.

The 999MB thing isn’t an Apple bug. But I do wonder if it’s an artefact; that 999 makes me suspicious, and I wonder if it’s actually trying to tell us ‘I can’t find the disk you’re trying to copy to’; it hasn’t actually copied anything, except perhaps into some buffer.

I’ve never encountered it because I avoid using the WD apps because i’m not sure WD are very good at software, and it’s much better to access the disk locally by mapping into the file system. I don’t use an app to access my PC’s hard drive or USB drive; I use the operating system’s file manager (in my case, the OS is XP…). For remote access, yes, I grudgingly accept that I have to use a WD app.

Many phone calls to WD…still no solution. As indicated previously, the Techs keep reiterating that it is a problem with Apple and the upgrade to El Capitan. What a load of bullsh@t. When Ford change their wheel rim size from 19inch to 21 inch, Bridgestone make a new tyre to suit. they don’t keep manufacturing and selling 19inch tyres for that vehicle. They make new ones to suit. Lift your game WD or get out of the playing field. Simply not good enough.
For those who still cannot upload files greater than 999KB, here is a fix that works for me. Go to Finder, then select GO. on the left hand taskbar select CONNECT TO SERVER. Type in afp://(type in your mycloud IP details). This will bring up your folders in mycloud. Drag and drop your files into these folders without them stopping at 999KB. PS…the latest response from WD is they are aware of the problem and will get back to me when there is a fix. I won’t hold my breath!

The 999MB upload issue while in local network and the 512KB upload issue while in remote happens when you are using the My Cloud Desktop app in a Yosemite 10.10.5 or El Capitan. Something happened with the last Yosemite update as in 10.10.4 this works fine.

For the moment the only workaround, as stated above, is to map the drive when you are in local network or using the web mycloud.com when you want to transfer remotely.

The issue is not yet resolved and don’t know whether Apple, WD or both have something to do to fix it.

When the upload gets to 999, hit the pause button, wait a brief moment and then hit resume, it should start uploading again. When it gets to 1.99 Gb you will have to do this again until the file resumes uploading. Try it and see if it works for you because it does for me.

Stan, That doesn’t work for all of us. Whilst my transfer will continue after manually forcing it at 999KB, once it gets to 1.98GB and I try again to manually force it, it drops off completely. I have finally received confirmation from WD that there is a problem and that they are attempting to rectify it. Cheers to everyone’s responses.

Hi Mick,

I had the same problem also, but i let it get to 1.98 G and wait a cpl of minutes, and then i hit pause and play. It does work for me. I admit the 1.98 is a bit trickier but just give it a few minutes before hitting pause.

Please let me know if this works.

Even though it looks like the transfer has stopped at 1.98 it hasnt, it slows down and needs to keep going even though you can’t really see it. give it a few more minutes.

I’ve waited hours but it simply stops for me. I have had some success with WD in that they have acknowledged that it is there problem and they are working on fixing it. Mind you, I don’t think they are giving a good go as they contacted be weeks ago. Thanks for the feedback.

Same problem : simply unable to upload most media files that are over 1 gig. Upload just freezes at 999MB
Really makes the whole MyCloudMirror idea useless as a media hub

WD should be ashamed of 1) this 1GB issue on a media server, 2) the lack of responsiveness or solutions from its support team, and 3) the poor quality of its MyCloud firmware to begin with. That said, here is a workaround that worked for me: Connect from your Mac via Finder and the SMB protocol to the MyCloud device on your local network, using the IP address of the MyCloud device. Then, use Finder per normal to manage files.

The specific steps (as I can reconstruct them!) that worked for me:

1. Open the Finder and hit command-K (for Connect to Server, which is also available on the Go menu).

2. Enter smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the dialog, where the x’s are the IP address of the MyCloud device, as can be found either in MyCloud Dashboard under Settings > Network or in the administrative console for your home router (i.e., your wifi device).

3. Enter your username and password.

• Note 3-1: The password is blank by default in the MyCloud setup.
    • Note 3-2: Whereas I was seeking to access a private share that I had created using the MyCloud Dashboard in my Web browser, I connected as a Registered User. I assume that connecting as a Guest user will provide access to the public shares on the MyCloud device.
  • Note 3-3: In my troubleshooting, I decided at some point to change my username for the admin account on the MyCloud device from the default username that was assigned to me during setup. I do not know whether this change had any effect on my ability to connect to the MyCloud device as a registered users. Previously, using different methods and protocols, I had been receiving authentication errors. So, maybe a coincidence, maybe not, that I found success after changing my username. Am mentioning it for completeness, just in case the change did something favorable.
  1. Select the volume(s) that you wish to mount.
  • Note 4-1: As mentioned, I connected to a private share that I had established using the MyCloud dashboard. When I did so, I was also able to connect to the public shares, at least after clicking on the Shared item representing the IP address of the MyCloud device in the left-hand navigation pane w/in Finder.
  • Note 4-2: Not fully to my recollection, I intermittently seem to get an authentication error message at this point but am nonetheless able to view and use the MyCloud device within Finder, using left-hand navigation pane per immediately above.
  1. Use the Finder windows and tabs per normal to move and manage files. My un-tested observation is that the SMB protocol seems to be somewhat slow. Howsoever that may be, it works.

Surely, some of the foregoing is off. Even so, it will hopefully save some folks a bit of time and frustration. Western Digital really needs to do better. As a guy in the tech industry, I know that it’s actually not that difficult or expensive to do so… if you give priority to the customer experience.

JDL

oh my god your my hero. i hate mycloud. slow but the 6tb storage is valuable. wish the software was much better… your idea worked perfectly.

i take back my previous hero remark. it just moved everything over to my local file now i still have to wait for the app to sync it all over.

OK! So, finally I have fixed this problem: I could upload files from my network, but was unable to do this from outside networks. It took me about a week for reading forums and boiling brains.
Below are steps leading to the victory:

1. I have downgraded Firmware of my WD MyCloudMirror from 2.11.133 to 1.05.26.
  2. Then I have upgraded it back to 2.11.133.
  3. Pushed reset button on the back of the unit for 5 seconds.
  4. Reinstalled the device.
  5. INPORTANT!!! Reinstalled all WD software on both Mac and Win machines and iPhone.
  6. All worked! I deserve a beer!

PS. By the way, initially IP was set to a fixed. Now it is DHCP assigned.

I hope this helps.
(Now it works well and uploads any size files from MacBook, Sony Vaio, iPhone when all these devices are located far away from “Mothernet”. :slightly_smiling:) -even on the other side of the Globe.
I have not tried uploads from Android - I am not that smart to operate this sophisticated OS.

This issue has been solved with the latest My Cloud Desktop application for Mac 1.0.7.10 version released on February 23rd. Also has been solved the 512kb stop issue when uploading in remote connection. This has been tested on El Capitan 10.11.3.

1 Like

HIHI, Ive had this problem for a year now, and I am sick of working around by using different computers, or simply giving up uploading the files to my drive.

I have a 2tb my cloud, and my laptop is hp with win8.

drives firmware: v04.04.02-105