Upload/Download Speed Issues with MBL 3 TB

Hello,

I recently bought a MBL 3TB and I am having problems with the upload and download speeds. I have read all the posts related to the speed issues. I realized I do not have a Gigabit Router nor a Gigabit NIC on my laptop. I seem to have a non-optimal configuration. I know I need to upgrade my home network. I shall do it, but not right now. 

The question I have is, what is the best speed that I can get with the below configuration:

Wireless                                         Wired Connection

Laptop <--------------->  Wireless Router <--------------------------> MBL 3TB

Note: Laptop and Router do not have Gigabit capabilities.

The slowest connection in the above is the 802.11g, 54 Mbps wireless connection between my laptop and router, but the speeds I get are around 2 MBps ~ 16 Mbps ! which is no closer to the capacity of the router.

Is this the maximum speed achievable with the above configuration ? Can I tweak anything to get any better speeds ?

Lastly, if I upgrade my router to a gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbps, what will be the speed I can achieve with a wireless connection ?

Thanks,

Tarun

Tarun wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought a MBL 3TB and I am having problems with the upload and download speeds. I have read all the posts related to the speed issues. I realized I do not have a Gigabit Router nor a Gigabit NIC on my laptop. I seem to have a non-optimal configuration. I know I need to upgrade my home network. I shall do it, but not right now. 

The question I have is, what is the best speed that I can get with the below configuration:

Wireless                                         Wired Connection

Laptop <--------------->  Wireless Router <--------------------------> MBL 3TB

Note: Laptop and Router do not have Gigabit capabilities.

The slowest connection in the above is the 802.11g, 54 Mbps wireless connection between my laptop and router, but the speeds I get are around 2 MBps ~ 16 Mbps ! which is no closer to the capacity of the router.

Is this the maximum speed achievable with the above configuration ? Can I tweak anything to get any better speeds ?

Lastly, if I upgrade my router to a gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbps, what will be the speed I can achieve with a wireless connection ?

Thanks,

Tarun

Sounds legit, wireless is even slower than a Megabit connection. Even with a Gigabit router you won’t see happy performance jump on wireless, you’d still have to get a WIRED connection for good speeds.

Is there a known max speed over the wireless ?