Upgrading storage on EX2 Ultra

Hello,
I purchased an EX2 Ultra a few months ago and put two 2 TB drives in it, in RAID 1 configuration. I’ve really been enjoying this little NAS and have just about filled up the 2 TB worth of storage already. My question is, if I were to purchase a couple of 4 TB drives to upgrade the existing ones, could I replace the 2 TB drives without losing any of my data or having to first copy it off onto something else?

I found the instructions for replacing a drive in RAID 1 config, but these seem to reference only replacing a failed drive, and doesn’t say anything about changing drive sizes. I can imagine swapping out one of the existing 2 TB drives for a 4 TB drive, letting the auto-rebuild process move all of the data onto the 4 TB, then swapping out the other 2 TB and essentially doing the same thing all over, with the end result being I have 4 TB of space and all my current data.

The question is whether or not that will work, or if the system will treat the 4 TB drives as 2 TB, since that’s what’s being mirrored.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Does anyone know if this would work? Do I need to contact WD support to find out?

The way I would do it involves having a backup (RAID 1 is fault-tolerance; not a backup). That way if the process fails I can always copy back everything.

If you would prefer to confirm if migrating is possible (And if there is a safe procedure) then perhaps it would be best to contact WD Support about this. You can do so over the phone or via E-mail.

Having a backup before trying is certainly a good idea, and I do have a spare drive I can use for that, so I’ll give it a try. I really want the migration trick I mentioned to work, so I’ll give it a shot and report back.

1 Like