Upgrading MyBook Live to PHP5.3

I need sqlite3 support in PHP & PERL using the sqlite3: interface rather than PDO. Natively PHP5.2.x doesn’t support this interface on the current version of MyBook Live firmware. I decided to risk upgrading php from the squeeze repository since lenny doesn’t have it  and sqlite3: support is now present and working, but rather as expected the web UI is now partially broken on certain functions and the logs complain about pdo.inc.

There’s a websit  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/mybook-live referring to editing php.ini or upgrading cakePHP to fix the problem following an upgrade but the example given doesn’t seem appropriate and in any case doesn’t work.

I suppose if needs be I can restore the firmware and compile a native version of php but I’m not sure how far that may lead with needing php & perl versions of sqlite3.

So does anyone have any working solutions to upgrading php?

Following up my own post, it seems apt-get refuses to finish configuring php5-common since it would update /etc/cron.d/php5 which is also supplied in package wd-nas.

Instead I copied the pdo.so library directly from the php5-common .deb into /usr/lib/php5/20090626+lfs folder.

All is good now and I have both sqlite3 for Perl & a sqlite3:  interface  for PHP 5.3. Those web applications depenfong on it are all working.

It’s a bit of a shame that the dependencies have been left slightly borked so I’d still like a tidier solution…

i used this command to install  the problem package

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/php5-common_5.3.3-7+squeeze8_powerpc.deb

and then ran

apt-get -f install

to fix the package database