Upgrading capacity, not sure if correct config now?

Over the weekend, I upgraded the drives in my EX2 Ultra from 2 x 2TB to 2 x 4TB WD Red Plus drives.

I did this one drive at a time and rebuilt after each, so the data transferred correctly (I obviously also made extra backups elsewhere).

Afterwards, I wasn’t seeing the extra space so I had a poke around and it hadn’t been allocated to the partition, so I attempted to do that. It told me it was formatting the drive, but no bother because I have everything backed up. But now I’m very confused because:

1. Home Screen shows that I have 4.21TB free, which I would expect had drive been reformatted.
  2. However, in Finder, I can see the files still there, as they were previously, and Finder is reporting only 273GB available, as it was before the upgrade.

So I’m very confused and assuming my drives are no longer in a RAID1 configuration.

This is what it shows under Storage.

Could someone point me in the right direction to get this set up as I would hope: so I see it on my network essentially as a single 4TB drive? Thanks!

Dunkinrunsonyou

Here’s how to do it:

Select Start > Settings > Update & Security .

From the Windows update page, select Fix issues. This launches the Windows update tool that lets you update your PC using an external storage device.

Before you use an external storage device for updating, make sure you back up any important files.

Connect your external storage device and select it from the drop-down menu.

Select Next and follow the instructions to finish installing the update.

Once the installation is complete, you can safely remove your external storage device.

Even after selecting external storage, if you don’t have enough free space on your internal drive, you might be prompted to free up more space.

Hey Vogan, thanks for your quick reply.

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting here. Firstly, I’m not running Windows, I’m on a Mac. Secondly, I’m not wanting to update my computer, so I’m not sure what your comments regarding that are concerning.

I’ve simply swapped out the old 2TB HDDs in the EX2 NAS to two new 4TB drives to increase capacity but they appear to not be configured properly (so they use RAID1 to mirror the data between drives and so they appear as a single 4TB drive on my network).

I think Vogan is not answering the question you asked.

What it looks like is that you set up two logic volumes on your NAS; a 2TB Raid 1 (using 4TB of space across the two drives); and a 4 TB single logical volume (Raid 0) that spans both drives (using the other 4TB of space).

I think in your configuration menus you want to DELETE volume_2, then do a RAID EXPAND on volume_1 to make that volume use all available space.

PS: Raid 0 is a bad choice for reliability - - - either drive goes bad; all data on both drives goes poof.