Updating WD Smartware? Pain in the

Hello…

After buying my WD My book elite, and installing Smart(?)ware i saw that Smartware found a update.

1. Update Firmware - Done

2. Update Smartware…

Great,

Updated the firmware, so now to SmartWare

downloading, installing update, rerunning the update(Whats up with rerunning the update anyway?)

Anyhow, Windows asks me after Smartware is done, about has the program been installed or not - this i clicked yes to.

After the install is finished, i do not have WD Smartware installed on my system anymore

So i figured maybe it just updated the SmartWare on the disc, so i tryed installing from that again - same old version.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/step1.asp?id=wdfMB_Elite&os=win

So my question is - How do I update WD SmartWare on Windows 7 X64?

At Least you got it installed in the First place… I had to download the software to install it initially then when I found out their was an upgrade My problems started… Can’t even access backup or anything else … very poor service …

Thta ■■■■■ Jst seems weird this SmartWare

1. Install SmartWare trough the USB drive.

2. Update SmartWare - Download Firmware + SMartWare file.

3. Update firmware - 1minute…

4. Install the update file to SmartWare

5. Now, you dont have SmartWare installed on your system.

6. Rerun the Smartware update - you still dont have SmartWare installd (followed the guide, it said Rerun after install…)

7. As i still dont have SmartWare installed, i installed it AGAIN trough the USB HDD - guess what, stil the old version i´ve got.

Seemt to me, that the new version doesent work for Win 7 64…

Just not good enough WD - i have had lots of hassles with this drive now.

1. Had to void my warranty to fix the LLC problem

2. The drive makes my explorer.exe freeze, when i rightclick on a file, that i´m transfering to the USB HDD - my other USB HDD´s dont do this. They let me rightclick with no problem.

3. This, Smartware thing, can´t be updated.

Ffs WD… Come on!

Edit, my drive is the 2TB vers. with the WD20EADS drive in…

Santa,

1.  Updated the firmware, so now to SmartWare

downloading, installing update, rerunning the update(Whats up with rerunning the update anyway?)

How did you re-run updates?  From WD SmartWare Update button?

So, did new WD SmartWare get updated, but the issue is running the update again?

2.  As i still dont have SmartWare installed, i installed it AGAIN trough the USB HDD - guess what, stil the old version i´ve got.  Seemt to me, that the new version doesent work for Win 7 64…

Update gets only installed on your system drive and not to your external drive Virtual CD (VCD).

New WD SmartWare Software doesn’t replace old image on your VCD.

Hope this helps.

Also, you may want to make sure that you have all your Windows and .NET updates installed.  You need to have .NET 3.5 installed or SmartWare may stop updating/installing.

.net is not the problem.

This is my full process of installing and trying to update WD SmartWare:

1. Install Smartware, trough the VCD on the USB disk.

2. Start SmartWare

3. Click “Update Software”, within the WD Smartware “Home” tab.

4. Click “Get Update”

5. Followed the guide on http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/step1.asp?id=wdfMB_Elite&os=win

First i updated the firmware. Second i download the update file for WD Smartware.

1. Unzipped and ran “WDSmartWare_SoftwareUpdater_for_Windows_1_3_0_16” which i just downloaded.

2. Clicked “Contiunue to update”

3. Clicked “Update WD Software”

4. Accepted the EULA ~ now its updating the Software to WD SmartWare 1.3.0.16

5. It now says “WD Smartware update to 1.3.0.16 complete”

6. Hit the only button on the update program which says “Exit”

Now the guide on the link i providede, says i have to rerun the WD SmartWare updater.

1. Unzipped and ran “WDSmartWare_SoftwareUpdater_for_Windows_1_3_0_16” which i just downloaded in step 5.

2. Clicked “Contiunue to update”

3. Clicked “Update WD Software”

4. Accepted the EULA ~ now it says it updating the Software to WD SmartWare 1.3.0.16.

5. “WD SmartWare Update to v 1.3.0.16 is complete-”

6. I hit the Exit button.

But, now theres no WD SMartWare installed - i then rebooted the WD Elite USB disc which doesent bring up WD SmartWare neither…

Now, since i´ve hidden the VCD on the drive, i do not neither get prompted to install SmartWare after ive put the drive in again. I then downloaded the VCD Manager http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/utilitiesstep2.asp?id=wdfMB_Elite&os=win

To get the VCD install back again from the drive, cause it was hidden.

1. Hit Run Wd Smartware.exe

2. Hit Setup drive"

3. Accepted EULA

4. Installed.

Now, my WD Software is: 1.2.0.8 - NOT the new one.

Yay.

Oh dear god.

Found out i´m not the only one having this issue, a issue i´ve been using hours to try resolving.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/Version-1-3-0-16-not-updating-installing/td-p/24420/page/6