Updating firmware on a My Book Essential

hi, I want to know if I can update the firmware of my My Book Essential (Product Code → WDBACW0010HBK; Serial Number → ; Product Name → My Book Essential 1 TB Deadline → 08/04/2014). Sincerely zeferino post scriptum: sorry… ! I am Italian !!!

If the drive is working without any problems I don’t update the firmware. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Joe

Yep, unless you are addressing a specific problem and under guidance of tech support; then it’s best to leave firmware updates alone.

This isn’t a smartphone.

This is a hard disk.

hi,

I tried to upgrade the firmware of my My Book Essential 1 TB version 1.4.5.2 1.6.x to pay

I report the data of my My Book Essential, of my pc and of my Operating System:

• Details of my My Book Essential: Product Code: WDBACW0010HBK; Product Name → My Book Essential 1 TB Deadline → 08/04/2014.

• Details of my PC: HP-Pavilion; Model KA927AA-ABZ a6325.it; Total Memory System → 3.00 GB of RAM, a 32-bit Operating System

• Details of my Operating System: Windows 7 Professional.

Also carry the description of 'the firmware update operation performed by me:

1. Launch WD SmartWare. WD SmartWare start phase “Classification of Files,” during which a removable window appears in the message ‘update available’. After about 6 minutes, ends the “Classification of Files,” and I click on the Update button.

2. To 'address appears http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?pid=1140&os=WIN page Download the software needed to update the firmware from version 1.4.5.2 to version 1.6.0 (updated 09.05.2012). Prerequisite: Windows 7 (SI), and Microsoft. NET Framework 4 installed on my pc (SI); version of Internet Explorer 9 (greater than 7, SI).

3. Since I have all these requirements, do I download Windows SmartWare Upgrader 1.6.0.19.zip, localize it and then copy it and glue on the desktop.

4. Then I double-click Windows SmartWare 1.6.0.19.zip Upgrader. On the resulting page I click on the desktop … Extract. Finally I restarted the PC. 5.

I open WD SmartWare. WD SmartWare I re-run the file classification. But I have the unpleasant surprise to see that the WD Online box at the bottom, I still have the 1.4.5.2 version of the firmware of my My Book Essential 1 TB.
Then, I click Update, and back to the point of the Download. If I’m wrong, where I went wrong?

zeferino

I tried to upgrade the firmware of my My Book Essential 1 TB version 1.4.5.2 1.6.x to pay

I report the data of my My Book Essential, of my pc and of my Operating System:

• Details of my My Book Essential: Product Code: WDBACW0010HBK; Product Name → My Book Essential 1 TB Deadline → 08/04/2014.

• Details of my PC: HP-Pavilion; Model KA927AA-ABZ a6325.it; Total Memory System → 3.00 GB of RAM, a 32-bit Operating System

• Details of my Operating System: Windows 7 Professional.

Also carry the description of 'the firmware update operation performed by me:

1. Launch WD SmartWare. WD SmartWare start phase “Classification of Files,” during which a removable window appears in the message ‘update available’. After about 6 minutes, ends the “Classification of Files,” and I click on the Update button.

2. To 'address appears http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?pid=1140&os=WIN page Download the software needed to update the firmware from version 1.4.5.2 to version 1.6.0 (updated 09.05.2012). Prerequisite: Windows 7 (SI), and Microsoft. NET Framework 4 installed on my pc (SI); version of Internet Explorer 9 (greater than 7, SI).

3. Since I have all these requirements, do I download Windows SmartWare Upgrader 1.6.0.19.zip, localize it and then copy it and glue on the desktop.

4. Then I double-click Windows SmartWare 1.6.0.19.zip Upgrader. On the resulting page I click on the desktop … Extract. Finally I restarted the PC. 5.

I open WD SmartWare. WD SmartWare I re-run the file classification. But I have the unpleasant surprise to see that the WD Online box at the bottom, I still have the 1.4.5.2 version of the firmware of my My Book Essential 1 TB.
Then, I click Update, and back to the point of the Download. If I’m wrong, where I went wrong?

zeferino

Could this be as simple as running the extracted file?

Or perhaps pointing the existing program to the install file?

Simply putting it on the desktop is not enough, you have to run the extracted program.

Also this doesn’t seem to be a case of updating firmware, more like an application update.

Excuse me. Now all is well. I had chosen the wrong procedure. zeferino