Updating apps

hi, im having problems updating apps i have read the post refering to documents which say when update is available, it will show in the top right corner as a link.  i wanted to install joomla latest version 3.3 but no link is showing for update i have tried clicking the install manually and directing to app downloaded from joomla but app fails to install which happens even with other apps like transmission.out of curiosity  i downloaded file ex2_Joomla-2.5.6.tar.gz  from wd site and this also failed to install manually.  any help is much appreciated. thanks paul

It’s not clear what post you are referring to by, “i have read the post refering to documents which say when update is available”…can you post the link to that post…because the rest of your post was even more confusing to me.

As far as installing the apps on EX2 is concerned, you are restricted to installing the versions that are available through the dashboard…even if a newer version of that app is available from that app’s own website.

sorry forgot to add link i referred too

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705119.pdf#page=105

i downloaded the same version of the joomla from wd site  http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=906&sid=224&lang=en  app which is included in the install list on the mycloud device to install maually  but these apps fail to install.

thanks for your reply

Ok - much better…makes more sense…ALWAYS remember to provide as much details as possible when seeking help, because without that you are limiting others’ ability to help you. And it is good that you reviewed the manual carefully - most folks come here asking basic questions that have already been answered in the manual, which is why sometimes they get ignored or referred to the manual.

Anyway, let me answer the easy one first. The second link that you gave, from which you said you donwloaded the Joomla app directly from WD site - I hope you saw on that download page that it said it was the GPL Source Code that you downloaded. It is NOT the compiled binary i.e. the app itself. It is the raw source code which needs to be compiled into the app.

Now, coming to your original post’s words, “… when update is available, it will show in the top right corner as a link.  i wanted to install joomla latest version 3.3 but no link is showing for update” - well, that means no update has been released by the app maker for the EX2. As I said in my previous comment, though an app developer may have released several versions of the app after the initial version available for EX2, these later versions won’t be available for EX2 until they are released and tested by the app maker. And given how small the market for EX2 is, my gut feeling is most of these app makers might not even release a version after the initial release.

Usually app developers are more drawn to large user bases - like say Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, etc. But when they have to compile and test their apps for smaller platforms - like the EX2 where the user base is perhaps in hundreds, if that, then there’s not much motivation for them to keep the app up-to-date. I’m not saying the number of EX2 users are in hundreds - but most buying EX2 are buying it for it’s NAS functionality and not the apps, so only a few, perhaps in hundreds, will actually install and play with the apps. So, I’m afraid you are stuck with what’s available - UNLESS the app maker does release another version, in which case you will see the update available link in the dashboard as mentioned. The best way to really play with these apps is to install them on a computer (perhaps a spare computer) and not on a NAS. You’ll be able to easily find and install the latest and greatest versions of these apps from the app maker’s site, that you can then install on your own computer (not a NAS).

many thanks again for help , downloads i see now source code miss read that bit lack of sleep :slight_smile: .

joomla was mainly for refreshing myself  since i closed my website so its not too much of a loss,

i was hoping to run a teamspeak server from the nas to save me leaving the pc on 24-7 but like you say unless the app maker  has a big enough call for this to be done i guess it wont happen . many thanks paul.

If my previous post answered your questions, please click the star under my username on the left of the post, to give ame a kudos (thanks)…and also, you can mark that post as the solution.

1 Like

Hi  paullee1974 ,

I don’t know if you are still interested in Joomla 3.3…but I wanted to inform you anyway that about 3-4 days ago I was able to successfully install Joomla 3.3 on my EX2 very easily. I just started exploring the idea of writng an automated script that will do all the installing prep work for you (i.e. automating the download of the installer files from joomla.org and setting up the install folders, etc.) and then all one has to do is to simply open a link in their browser and go through the install steps in just three easy GUI screens. I am not sure if such a script will be of interest to anyone - but I thought I’d ask you here in this thread first since you were the only one, as far as I remember, who asked for Joomla 3.3 install. So let me know if you are interested. It’s a good exercise for me to automate this setup process - which even manually is quite simple too but I’d rather automate that part so that all one has to do is to launch a script (but it needs to be kicked off from SSH -cannot be done via GUI of course as only WD and Joomla developers can provide such a GUI packaged app). But the actual install will take place via GUI - the script in SSH will only copy files over, etc. and do the prep work.

I have also taken screenshots for every tep that I will probably include in such a tutorial - IF there is interest. If the fear of voiding the warranty because of SSH use is reason enough to not be interested, then I understand, and won’t spend my effort in building this automated script. That’s why I am checking to see first if there is at least one person who might be interested in this app. Without any takers I just don’t have the interest to write this script :slight_smile:

Cybernut1 wrote:

Hi  paullee1974 ,

I don’t know if you are still interested in Joomla 3.3…but I wanted to inform you anyway that about 3-4 days ago I was able to successfully install Joomla 3.3 on my EX2 very easily. I just started exploring the idea of writng an automated script that will do all the installing prep work for you (i.e. automating the download of the installer files from joomla.org and setting up the install folders, etc.) and then all one has to do is to simply open a link in their browser and go through the install steps in just three easy GUI screens. I am not sure if such a script will be of interest to anyone - but I thought I’d ask you here in this thread first since you were the only one, as far as I remember, who asked for Joomla 3.3 install. So let me know if you are interested. It’s a good exercise for me to automate this setup process - which even manually is quite simple too but I’d rather automate that part so that all one has to do is to launch a script (but it needs to be kicked off from SSH -cannot be done via GUI of course as only WD and Joomla developers can provide such a GUI packaged app). But the actual install will take place via GUI - the script in SSH will only copy files over, etc. and do the prep work.

I have also taken screenshots for every tep that I will probably include in such a tutorial - IF there is interest. If the fear of voiding the warranty because of SSH use is reason enough to not be interested, then I understand, and won’t spend my effort in building this automated script. That’s why I am checking to see first if there is at least one person who might be interested in this app. Without any takers I just don’t have the interest to write this script :slight_smile:

hi, a couple of weeks ago i may have thought i will never need to use the waranty, as i have never used one yet but after the firmware update crysis  i have to think twice i would enjoy seting up joomla to use again but i think i will have to wait until my waranty ends, but thanks for the heads up that it can be done. :slight_smile: