Update twonkyserver

before i go to the trouble of updating my twonly server, i was wondering if this will even solve my issue. i’ve updated all the firmware to my panasonic p46x3 and mybooklive etc.

i’ve downloaded shows from my tivo and tried reencoding using handbrake or ffmpeg to various formats, mostly mp4 some avi some mkv with various resolutions and settings built in to kmttg. the files play fine from usb. but with twonky it starts and stutters and is pretty much unwatchable. dont know if the mybook is just too slow. using wired connections thru a switch wired to router. cant find much about townky with panasonic tvs.

Probably not possible to tell as slutter does seems to be a data transfer rate issue and not a TWONKY issue but I guess it’s worth upgrading and test. You can always go back.

Hey Jumper,

THought I’d let you (And everyone else know) I’m doing well since upgrading Twonky, and am able to stream content I was previously unable to thanks to your help.

There’s one thing I have found though after restarting my router - the WD MBL doesn’t remember what I had Shared and so, it starts rebuilding the database all over again.  For the amount of data I have on there, it’s a little irritating. 

I’ve found a thread online with others saying similar and wondered if you might have any info to prevent iths?  The guide on a different site says;

Rename script of WD Live to avoid it rewrite twonky param every startup :

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

I have gone into Terminal and connected to the MBL and pasted the command above to get the following;

mv: cannot stat `/usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh’: No such file or directory

Any ideas?  I’d be really grateful.

Cheers

Just read back through our earlier discussions and see that the last command I had an error with is the one responsible for preventing the server to ‘forget’ what was being shared…

… is there a way around this?

Yes that file no longer exists now. Are you sure you are clicking the SAVE CHANGES button on the top after changing your shared directories? Try having only one contect directory ‘/nfs/Public’ and set it for all media types. Make sure you have the checkbox checked on the left and click save. restart. hope it helps.

Yes Jumper, I did save changes and haven’t touched the config since.  I dod reboot the router though and it forgot everything and started building again.

I read an article here covering the same issue (does yours not do this then?  have you tried turning off your router and acessing shared files or had a look to see if the database is rebuilding - if you could, that’d be excellent just to be sure I’m having a random issue… then again, did you get the same error?)

One other observation, I’m not using nfs/… instead, I selected /shares/Public/Shared Pictures etc.  Do you think this makes a difference?

If you’re interested, you can see the article here;

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-249817/upgrade-twonky-to-version-6

"Hi everybody, I just buy a new book for a friend and follow your tutorial ggartrelle, thanks for it !

But, you’ll miss one thing for me (with last firmware), every time you reboot MyBookLive or restart Twonky, your share config is lost in Twonky 6.

I search and found /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh who seem’s start at every start of Twonky (via web interface or when you reboot MyBookLive) and write over the previous config.
(I think it works fine with Twonky 5 but not with 6)

You can simply rename it to writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old and all working fine."

Problem I have is that the writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old thing can’t be found.

:frowning:

Byr restarting router do you mean restarting the WD device or restarting the WAN router it is connected to?

Sorry man, I mean the DSL Router which the WD MBL connects to via ethernet. :slight_smile:

Version 6.0.38 is out and if you follow the instructions on page 6 of this thread, it will update just fine (just make sure you replace 6.0.34 w/ 6.0.38 when downloading/unzipping).  Kudos went out because it totally worked on my MBL and I am now able to stream to my Samsung LED TV (v5.x.xx of Twonky wouldn’t).

Good luck all! 

mistachesta: Works fine even after reboot and TWONKY does not forget anything

Artarian: Updated instruction for 6.0.38 has already been posted on page 13

Just wondering if anyone has figured out if the 30 day trial period disables Twonky from streaming, or is it necessary to purchase a Server serial number.

Granted, it’s totally worth the $20 to get it running (or would that be keep it from stopping?), but if it is unnecessary, I don’t want to spend the money. 

Worth buying TBH.

“Yup… But in my case, the MyBook Live streams MKVs just fine to all of my devices; four set top boxes, one bluray player, my iPad and iPod…” Tony, how are u streaming MKVs to your iPad? What app r u using? What resolution are athe MKV files?

I updated to 6.0.38 last night and I’M STREAMING!!!  I previously had tried 6.0.34 but it didn’t help with my MBL to Sony BDP-BX57 (Costco version of Sony BDP-570), never able to see any .avi files.  After this .38 upgrade, I see everything and can play everything.  Looking at the release notes, I see that there were .35 .36 and .37 updates too; it looks like a lot of the fixes may have been in .35 but I only just discovered .38 yesterday from a couple of forum posts.

Yeah but you have to fork out $20 after 30 days. There doesn’t seem to be a way around that :frowning: I think I’m just gonna have to install Firecores ApleTv black on my ATV and have the MyBookLive stream to that jail broken device. Yes it’s gonna cost $30 but it’s the easiest way for everyone else in the house, so they can access movies etc without getting frustrated with the Samsungs Tv Internet.

Hi,

i have issues with twonky 5.1.9 not recognizing properly the tags for m4a files. the genre is not read. So I would like to update to the version 6 of the server.

But i cannot enable the ssh. and connect to mybook live through Putty.

Everytime, i change  "ssh_enable=“enabled”, then save, then reload. For reloading, Mybooklive reboot. After the reboot, if i export the config file, i can see again ssh_enable=“disabled”.   

When i try to connect through putty, i always have no answer. consol freezed.

i have tried to enabled ftp and to connect through it with no success as well

Any Idea?

Thanks for your help.

Fatty

Try     http://THEIPMYBOOKLIVE /UI/ssh    the case of  ssh is important, I wish you luck>

Thanks Popsy! This way is even easier. 

Beautiful! Tags are now read properly! the songs are sorted as they should. 

Thanks all!

i just recently purchased WD world edition II. After firmware update twonky was at 5.1.9.  Initially I could only see and play AVI files from my Sony Blu Ray BDP S370.  Since then I upgraded twonky to 6.0.38 and can see and play MP4, VOB, MKV, M4V however the MKV and M4V either shutter during play or cause bluray to shutdown and restart.  I used twonkymedia-mss2-6.0.38 for upgrade.  From my laptop via wireless using MS media player I can play MKV and M4V perfectly.  S370 is wired connection.

Any suggestions…

Thanks in advance  Brad