Update TwonkyMedia with apt-get or SSH?

Hello. Is there any way to update TwonkyMedia Server with apt-get?

Any info will be appreciated.

Or may be I can manually replace twonkymedia-5 dir through ssh? Which disro of Twonky will match then: http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.31-RC6/

PS      WD Devs, can you add Twonky update option to UI please?

1 Like

Cromwell wrote:

add Twonky update option to UI

It could resolve lots of problems heh

so unlikely they’ll do it :))))

I’m still insisting on that:smileyvery-happy:

I’ve added the post to ‘Network Drive Ideas’ - http://community.wdc.com/t5/Network-Drive-Ideas/MyBook-Live-next-firmware-the-next-Twonky-Server/idi-p/144028 , you can vote for it

Dropping twonky like the unreliable pos it seems to be and changing to mediatomb is a fairly good option.

apt-get install mediatomb and you’re pretty much done. The configuration file turns up in /etc/mediatomb

jon , any howtos?

Mediatomb is really well integrated with Debian, so installation isn’t much stress at all. log in via ssh, and run “apt-get update && apt-get install mediatomb” is pretty much all that needs to be done. The start up scripts are sorted out automatically, it runs as user “mediatomb” when the device boots.

One thing which is worth adding to the /etc/mediatomb/config.xml file is xxxxx where xxxx is the (port) number you would like the server to be available on. That way you can manage it from a browser, much like twonky is of the form 192.168.0.1:9000, mediatomb would be 192.168.0.1:xxxxx.

You can add watch directories using the web interface or by editing the above configuration file. I think it’ll do things like transcoding on the fly, for if the player it’s used with can’t cope with some formats. I haven’t looked into that much though.

1 Like

jon, I’ve tried to install the mediatomb, looks like it,s running now but there are a few questions:

1. where exactly should I place “xxxxx”? I’ve place this at the end of the file but there are no reaction, MT continues to auto make the port number

2. what should I do to make mediatomb start automatically?

3. is there any language packs for mediatomb? It only shows “?” instead of cyrillic symbols. Or it’s a matter of codepage?

Hi. Mediatomb is probably already running on startup, as user “mediatomb”.

ps aux | grep mediatomb should confirm this, or type /etc/init.d/mediatomb start

One catch is that if you just type mediatomb, it’ll be running as root. For quite a long time I couldn’t work out why my TV showed two Mediatombs, one of which was empty. I’d added files to the root version, and didn’t realise one was running as a normal user.

My config file /etc/mediatomb/config.xml is very close to the default one, but it’s probably clearest if I post it in full. goes in the server section. I’ve disabled the web UI simply because I don’t use it, the section after but before does all I want from it. I’m sure you can set it up considerably more carefully than this, though I don’t know how to display cyrillic Google probably does. I

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>                                   50678     WD     uuid:56777a3e-b657-431a-b78c-5d8dd41eaabb     /var/lib/mediatomb     /usr/share/mediatomb/web                   sqlite3.db                     localhost         mediatomb         mediatomb                      

/usr/share/mediatomb/js/common.js
      /usr/share/mediatomb/js/playlists.js

/usr/share/mediatomb/js/import.js

audio/L16
        no
        yes
        no

video/mpeg
        yes
        yes
        yes