Update on My Cloud OS 5 Feedback

Hello My Cloud users,

Thank you for all the feedback & comments you have provided since the My Cloud OS 5 release. We wanted to provide an update on some of the feedback we received regarding the new release:

Indexing time & resources : As we are moving to the new My Cloud OS 5 mobile and web apps, it is necessary for your My Cloud NAS to index stored content for them to show up. Please be patient to let this process complete. If you do not need all the content to be visible in the mobile and web app, you can turn off indexing on the particular network share(s) under the Share tab of the web dashboard. If you do not need to use the mobile and web app, you can turn off Cloud Access from the web dashboard and that will stop the indexing.

Transcoding on PR2100 & PR4100 : With the new My Cloud OS 5 mobile and web apps, we are pre-transcoding video files to give video playback a smoother experience. We understand some of you are concerned about the space this takes and would like to have the option to skip this. We are looking into this feature request.

Transmission app : We had to make a last minute change to the Transmission so we weren’t able to include it with the My Cloud OS 5 release last week. We are targeting to post this app to the My Cloud OS 5 app center soon.

Docker : While Docker was not officially supported in My Cloud OS 3, we understand this is important for you. We are looking into a way to configure our Linux Kernel configuration so Docker can be manually added. This task may take some time, and we will let you know as soon as we have an update.

Streaming with Sonos Music Speaker over SMB : We have found the cause of this issue is because Sonos requires SMB1 and NTLMv1 support. NTLMv1 is not supported by default on Samba version 4.9.5 for security reasons. We are looking into adding this option for the users who need it.

Compatibility with 3rd party software or device over SMB : We noticed some of you were having problems getting SMB to work with your existing 3rd party software or device. We want to remind you that due to a security vulnerability, we have turned off SMBv1 by default in the My Cloud OS 5. If the 3rd party software or device requires SMBv1 to work, you can change this setting under the Settings tab in the web dashboard.

HTTPS redirect : As part of security improvement in the My Cloud OS 5, we have added HTTPS support to the web dashboard. Your My Cloud device will need to have a valid certificate for the access to be validated. This validation is similar to how you access many websites on the internet today. For the My Cloud NAS, we are using Lets Encrypt certificate.

WD Quick View : We noticed some of you still have the WD Quick View software running on your computer, which has been retired last year. The WD Quick View software is not compatible with the My Cloud OS 5 as it may cause dashboard connection and performance issue. We recommend uninstalling it if you have upgraded your My Cloud NAS to the My Cloud OS 5.

We thank you for all the feedback and suggestions you have provided. We will continue to provide status updates on these topics. If you have provided feedback that isn’t listed above, we may be still investigating it so please continue to work with our Support team to provide the details needed.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

Information If you have not upgraded to My Cloud OS 5:

Devices updated to My Cloud OS 5 cannot be downgraded to My Cloud OS 3.

To find more information about My Cloud OS 5 firmware, please refer to the My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Release Notes

To find more information about firmware availability and supported device, please refer to Answer ID 29230: My Cloud OS 5: Firmware Availability and Supported Devices

Before upgrading, please review Answer ID 29389: My Cloud OS 5: Feature Differences Between My Cloud OS 3 and My Cloud OS 5 for more details on feature differences and My Cloud OS 3 apps that will no longer be available

1 Like

Hello My Cloud users,

We’d like to give you an update on the feedback we received and share some of the latest information with you as we have just released FW 5.05.111 today:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware release 5.05.111, we addressed an issue to stop indexing the Time Machine network share. We are also working on some improvements and fixes in the coming releases. In the meantime, as mentioned in a previous post, if you do not need all your content to be visible in the mobile and web app, you can turn off indexing on the particular network share(s) under the Share tab of the web dashboard. If you do not need to use the mobile and web app, you can turn off Cloud Access from the web dashboard and that will stop the indexing.

Transmission app : In today’s firmware release 5.05.111, we have added support for the Transmission app. The app is now available for download from your device’s web dashboard. Transmission app is only configurable via web dashboard as part of security enhancement

Streaming with Sonos Music Speaker over SMB : In today’s firmware release 5.05.111, we have added the NT Lan Manager function in the web dashboard. To resolve this issue, please enable SMB1 and NTLMv1 from your device’s web dashboard. This fix is also applicable for other 3rd party appliances that require NTLMv1 authentication.

Default SMB version : In today’s firmware release 5.05.111, we have resolved an issue with SMB setting defaulted to SMB3 only, when upgrading from 2.40.157 to the previous firmware 5.04.114. Users who already upgraded to firmware 5.04.114 can modify the SMB setting in web dashboard under network settings if needed.

Docker : As mentioned in the previous post, we are making changes to our Linux Kernel configuration so Docker can be manually added. This change will be available in a future release.

Device wakes up from sleep every hour : We have been able to reproduce the issue and are investigating the issue. We will provide a fix in a future release.

Unable to backup USB drive as private share : In some scenarios users are not able to back up to a USB drive set as a private share. We have been able to reproduce this issue and will address it in a future release.

Web dashboard access is restricted to the same subnet : We have learned that some users have device setup in a different subnet and the restriction is impacting your workflow. We are looking into relaxing the restriction and allowing access to the web dashboard from other subnets.

Accessing MySQL from outside of network : We have noticed some users are asking to remove the restriction of accessing MySQL only from localhost. We will look into addressing it.

Transcoding on PR2100 & PR4100 : We are working on having an option to skip video transcoding in a future release. We’ll let you know when it is ready.

Apps page does not load : We noticed some users are reporting a loading issue with the apps page from web dashboard. We are investigating this issue.

Again, we thank you for all the feedback and suggestions you have provided. We will continue to provide status updates on these topics. If you have provided feedback that isn’t listed above, we may be still investigating it so please continue to work with our Support team to provide the details needed.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

3 Likes

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.06.115 today. Here are some updates on the top issues for your information:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware 5.06.115, we refined our RestSDK’s memory usage during content indexing for cloud access in certain scenarios. Some users may see an improvement on indexing with this release. We will continue to refine the indexing process and make improvements or fixes in future releases. Also, we noticed there are questions related to indexing so we’ve created an Indexing FAQ to help answer them. KBA link

Docker : In today’s firmware 5.06.115, we’ve enabled the ability for users to manually install Docker on the ARM platforms (My Cloud EX2 Ultra, My Cloud EX4100, My Cloud Mirror Gen 2). Please note the same ability is already enabled on the Intel Platforms (My Cloud PR2100, My Cloud PR4100)

Unable to backup USB drive as private share : In today’s firmware 5.06.115, we’ve resolved this issue with the USB Backup app where a user cannot backup to USB private shares in certain scenarios.

Web dashboard access is restricted to the same subnet : In today’s firmware 5.06.115, we’ve removed the restriction of web dashboard access from a different subnet.

Apps page does not load : We noticed some users are reporting a loading issue with the apps page from web dashboard. We are still investigating this issue. In today’s firmware 5.06.115, we’ve added error handling and message in the web dashboard so the page does not get stuck in continuous loading under certain scenarios.

Remotely access Transmission app : While the Transmission app was released with the last firmware release 5.05.111, we noticed some users are asking to be able to remotely access Transmission’s configuration app page. This is something we are looking into. You may refer to this post from our PSPIRT team for more information.

Device wakes up from sleep every hour : We have been able to reproduce the issue and are investigating the issue. We will provide a fix in a future release.

Accessing MySQL from outside of network : We have noticed some users are asking to remove the restriction of accessing MySQL only from localhost. We will look into addressing it.

Transcoding on PR2100 & PR4100 : We are working on having an option to skip video transcoding in a future release. We’ll let you know when it is ready.

Again, we thank you for all the feedback and suggestions you have provided. We will continue to provide status updates on these topics. If you have provided feedback that isn’t listed above, we may be still investigating it so please continue to work with our Support team to provide the details needed.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

3 Likes

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.07.118 today. Here are some updates on the top issues that we have addressed:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we addressed several indexing related memory usage issues.

Direct access Transmission app : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we added the ability for user to setup a username and password to access the Transmission web client. Once this is setup, the user will be able to access the Transmission web client directly and no longer need to go through the device’s web dashboard.

Web dashboard access restriction : Previously, we have restricted device configuration access from IP addresses that are not within the private IP ranges defined by RFC 1918 of the Internet Engineering Task Force. This is intended to prevent potential security exposure from the use of a public IP address, and the user is only allowed to configure My Cloud OS 5 with the following IP address ranges:

• 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we’ve modified and relaxed this restriction by allowing access from computers within the same subnet if user is using these IP addresses.

Device wakes up from sleep every hour : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we have fixed the standby issue which in certain scenarios the device would wake up every hour

High CPU & memory usage after indexing complete : Some users are noticing their device still consumes high CPU & memory usage after indexing has completed. In some cases, this is likely due to the thumbnail generation, and pre-transcoding of video files (PR2100 and PR4100 only). In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we added a status display to show “Generating preview” so user can see when this activity is ongoing.

Apps page does not load : In the last firmware 5.06.115, we’ve added error handling and message in the web dashboard so the page does not get stuck in continuous loading under certain scenarios. If you are still experiencing this issue, please leave us a note. You can also refer to this KBA for more info.

Here are a couple of other top issues that we are still working on:

Accessing MySQL from outside of network : We have noticed some users are asking to remove the restriction of accessing MySQL only from localhost. We are working on an option to allow this. We’ll let you know when it is ready.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.08.115 today. Here are some updates on the top issues that we have addressed:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware 5.08.115, we have addressed some more indexing and thumbnail generation related issues. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

Device wakes up several times a day : In today’s firmware 5.08.115, we have fixed the standby issue which in a few scenarios the hard drive would wake up multiple times a day. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

Here are some other top issues that we are still working on:

Accessing MySQL from outside of network : We have noticed some users are asking to remove the restriction of accessing MySQL only from localhost. We are working on an option to allow this. We’ll let you know when it is ready.

Remotely access web dashboard : Several users have been asking about ability to remotely access the web dashboard which was removed from the My Cloud OS 5. We are looking at options on addressing this and will report back once we find a solution.

Remote backup not functioning : We have noticed a few users are reporting the remote backup function is not working in the My Cloud OS 5. We are looking into this issue.**

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

1 Like

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.10.122 today. Here are some updates on the top issues that we have addressed:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware 5.10.122, we have made a minor database update in this release, and the admin user may see an “Updating Database” notification unit of time after the firmware update. This is only an minor update to the existing database and does not re-index or regenerate thumbnails of your media files. However, admin user will not be able to add or modify any users or network shares during this update. For more information, please refer to this KBA.

Remotely access web dashboard : In today’s firmware 5.10.122, we have added back the support for user to remotely access the web dashboard. To access via HTTP connection, enable port 80 on your router. To access via HTTPS connection, enable port 8543 on your router. Please refer to this KBA.

Accessing MySQL from outside of network : In today’s firmware 5.10.122, we have removed the restriction of accessing MySQL only from localhost. User can enable Network Database (MySQL) for remote access from the web configuration dashboard under Network Services. Please refer to this KBA.

Transcoding on PR2100 & PR4100 : In the last firmware 5.09.115, we have added a feature for user to enable or disable video transcoding of the cloud access feature for the My Cloud PR2100 and My Cloud PR4100 which supports hardware video transcoding. Please refer to this KBA for more information.

Here are some other top issues that we are still working on:

Remote backup not functioning: We have noticed a few users are reporting the remote backup function is not working in the My Cloud OS 5. We are still investigating into into this issue.

Device wakes up several times a day : In firmware 5.08.115, we have fixed the standby issue which in a few scenarios the hard drive would wake up multiple times a day. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

3 Likes

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.11.112 today. Here are some updates on the top issues that we have addressed:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware, we have continued to address additional indexing and thumbnail generation related issues. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

Device wakes up several times a day : In today’s firmware, we have made a fix to an issue which device would wake up every 12 hours. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

HTTPS redirect : In today’s firmware, we have added an option in the web dashboard for user to enable/disable the HTTPS redirect. To configure this option, please go to your My Cloud NAS’s web dashboard under Settings/Network.

Here is one more top issue that we are still working on:

Remote backup not functioning : We have noticed a few users are reporting the remote backup function is not working in the My Cloud OS 5. We are looking into this issue.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

1 Like

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.12.108 today. Here are some updates on the top issues that we have addressed:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware, we have continued to address additional indexing and thumbnail generation related issues. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

Device wakes up several times a day : In today’s firmware, we have made a fix to an issue which device would wake up every 24 hours. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.

Remote backup not functioning : In today’s firmware, we have made a fix to the remote backup issue when a USB storage is chosen as the backup target.

This release has address the remaining critical issues that we have been tracking. Please continue to provide your feedback or finding to the WD Community and our team will closely monitor is any new issue arise.

Thanks,
My Cloud Product Team

2 Likes