I connect MY Hub to my PC to transfer files when I have a LOT of files to move. When I have TONS of files to move from the PC I remove the hard drive from the Hub and connect it via a USB adapter kit (About 25.00 on Ebay). Since mine is no longer in Warranty I can do this. I wouldn’t do it with one that is in warranty.
When I connect to the PC:
1) I use a 5’ length of standard CAT5 cable from the NIC card to the WD Hub (I guess my card or the Hub handles the X-over)
2) BEFORE I connect the Hub I open the Hub’s settings menu and set the network connection to AUTOMATIC unless you KNOW it’s already set that way. Do NOT change anything else. I change mine from Manual to Auto because when it’s on the actual network Manual seems more stable but it’s probably just in my head.
3) Make sure Sharing is turned on in the Hub setup and file sharing is available/setup on the PC
4) NOW I connect the Hub to the PC (which is already booted up)
This PC has BOTH a Wifi connection and a NIC card
I keep the NIC card manually DISABLED because I use the wifi card to connect to the network/internet and the NIC has NOTHING connected to it. One day i’ll drop a cat5 cable down inside the wall and not use wireless.
At this point I open the windowz network shraing center, select change adapter settings and disable my wifi adapter
and then enable my NIC adapter.
5) The Hub connects after a few moments just like it would if it were on a router. Meaning, it shows up on my PC and reacts in EXACTLY the same ways it does when on the network. NOTHING else is changed, not even the workgroup name. It’s still “workgroup”.
You’ll see about the same transfer speeds as you would on a wired connection (6-9mb). This is why I usually just pull the drive and go USB with it.
There might be other windowz network settings that need to be made, I don’t know. I’m telling you this is what I do and it WORKS for ME. Maybe having had it on my network and working there has something to do with it as windowz already recognizes it. This info has been poo-pooed by others on this forum when I have posted it before. All sorts of guesses have been made as to why it’s working. I can tell you that I originally read about how to do this ON THIS FORUM when I first got my Hub about 2 years ago. I can’t find that thread but I got that info here and so I pass it on to those that want to try it. For those non-believers ---- Raspberries