Unusual problem. Please help!

Dera All,

Please help me with this problem. I have bought the TV Live Hub 3 days back and i am using it only to watch movies via a 2 gb usb stick. I have some large movie files which I want to transfer to the HUB drive. I also read that simple transfer from PC to HUB by a usb cable is not possible. It can only be done over a network. I do not have a router. I used a cat5 cable and connected one end to the HUB and the other end to the PC. Initially the HUB was not recognised in the network connections. Then I manually changed the IP address in the HUB settings. I put the IP address, Sub net mask, Default gateway and Preferred DNS server settings as in my PC to the HUB. 

The WD TV LIVE HUB icon started showing. When I clicked on the icon, it didnt open up. Please help me with the problem. I just want to transfer some big movie files and change the themes. If there is any other way please suggest. Thanks in advance.

(This is after I clicked the TV LIVE HUB icon.)

If memory serves me if you want to connect 2 devices like that without a network then you need a certain cat 5 cable that has been wired for tranfering. If you search internet you should find this I know when Making cat 5 cables there is one way to wire them for recieving and sending and another way for tranfering between 2 devices

Don’t think it matters nowadays.

Back in the old days when people were trying to find faster ways to move files, someone said you dont need a patch cable anymore, as the network adapters nowadays set them selves up automatically.

if you see any icon it means you’re getting some sort of connection

but under windows network

you should see 2 options

1 as a network share - must be enabled on WDTV

2 a media device

to transfer file you must use the network share option

which since you don’t have a router, I would guess you probably need to set up a bridge before it will work

Hub users, is this really true:what the OP said

I also read that simple transfer from PC to HUB by a usb cable is not possible. It can only be done over a network.

Does this mean the Hub 's HDD cannot be treated as just another HDD to transfer files to?

No.

It would be like trying to connect to PCs together. Only way to transfer files is via an external drive plugged in or over a network.

There are two USB connections one front/rear but they are for Hard drives, keyboards.

So its a painful experience to fill the 1Tb up, which is why I am amzed anyone would want a 2TB version. :slight_smile:

I do realise from reading these forums that some users have loads of videos that they want to move to the hub all at once, however there must be others who just want to add one or two at a time and they build up their collection. The only worrying factor about the 2TB is that you must have another 2TB disk available to keep your backups on.

wdtvhub wrote:

No.

It would be like trying to connect to PCs together. Only way to transfer files is via an external drive plugged in or over a network.

There are two USB connections one front/rear but they are for Hard drives, keyboards.

So its a painful experience to fill the 1Tb up, which is why I am amzed anyone would want a 2TB version. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, and I am “amazed” why anyone would want a Hub with any size HDD.  To me, it’s like buying a TV with a built-in DVD player.  Why?  The flexibility and convenience of the player and drives being separate units is what I prefer, and you just pointed out another reason to pass on having a Hub – filling the HDD.  :dizzy_face:

Sorry, Hub owners if I offended any of you.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  :wink:

richUK wrote:
however there must be others who just want to add one or two at a time and they build up their collection. The only worrying factor about the 2TB is that you must have another 2TB disk available to keep your backups on.

Rich, only being able to move files via the network to a WD is rediculous.  For example. I created two MKV files this past week, I knew it would be slower via my (gigabit!) network 'cause files move to my WD/USB 2 attached drives much slower than drives attached to the PC  < 10Mbps vs. 30 Mbps.  So I took the drive off the WD for the first 25G file – it took around 17 minutes to transfer directly from PC.  The next time I “got lazy” and just sent the second 25G file to the drive via the network. . .  50 minutes later it was done.  Basically, it’s 3X faster with direct transfer than through network.

yes, if you have an external usb enclosure/drive you can use the WD’s built in file manager to copy the file using only the WD and usb connections

but

if the drive is an internal drive in your PC

aside from removing the drive and placing it in an external enlosure

the only option is a network transfer

Can somone please help me out with my problem. I ain’t a tech guy so I am not able to figure out what and where exactly is the problem.:cry:

Rupam wrote:

Can somone please help me out with my problem. I ain’t a tech guy so I am not able to figure out what and where exactly is the problem.:cry:

This is a user-to-user help area and not WD Support.  So, if you have a problem we can not help you solve, you should contact WD Support as per the instructions that came with your new unit.  You have free support for a while after buying it.

If you say you are not a “tech guy” then why are you changing around IP addresses and such?  Did the user manual for your WD suggest that as an option?

That said, I am going to suggest you do something that will most likely help you get up and running, and that is to:

Go buy a wireless router this weekend.  Things like the WD are best used with a router, and besides, a router does not need to be connected to the internet to be necessary and useful.  The router sends out a radio wireless signal that carries all your data and instructions to and from network devices, or if wired, then this happens through the wires.  A router helps direct and manage your own home network.  It is the “traffic cop” for all one’s network connected devices. If you also have internet service, then the router helps distribute and control that, too.  In other words, you need a router, even if you do not have internet service.

Just so you know :  a wireless router is a multi-function device.  It directs and manages the data flow via the “router” part of the device, it handles the wireless capabilities of the device, and it has four ethernet (wired) outputs on the back for connecting other devices to it; (like computers, WDTVs, etc.)  The ports are connected to the “ethernet switch” part of the router so data is distributed in/out the router in such a way that every device connected by wire get its own moments to send and receive.

I’m sure some tech guy here will dispute some of this, but we are not talking about “tech guys”, we are talking about you, a typical user of the WD media player who needs a wireless router.

Just get an external hard drive

wdtvhub wrote:

Just get an external hard drive

Yea, that’s another good solution.

mike27oct - I’m not concerned how long it takes to transfer files over the network because all I do is set it up and the jobs done automatically. I have a degree of patience when it comes to these sort of things. I agree it would have been better to have direct access to the internal disc but as with all things WD its the least of my worries.

My suggestion is do not manually change the hub’s IP addreess. Keep it automatic and then copy the hub’s IP address (the one that is automatically assigned). After which, in your file explorer’s address bar, type \x.x.x.x wherein x.x.x.x is the hub’s IP address.

I connect MY Hub to my PC to transfer files when I have a LOT of files to move. When I have TONS of files to move from the PC I remove the hard drive from the Hub and connect it via a USB adapter kit (About 25.00 on Ebay). Since mine is no longer in Warranty I can do this. I wouldn’t do it with one that is in warranty.

When I connect to the PC:

1) I use a 5’ length of standard CAT5 cable from the NIC card to the WD Hub (I guess my card or the Hub handles the X-over)

2) BEFORE I connect the Hub I open the Hub’s settings menu and set the network connection to AUTOMATIC unless you KNOW it’s already set that way. Do NOT change anything else. I change mine from Manual to Auto because when it’s on the actual network Manual seems more stable but it’s probably just in my head.

3) Make sure Sharing is turned on in the Hub setup and file sharing is available/setup on the PC

4) NOW I connect the Hub to the PC (which is already booted up)

This PC has BOTH a Wifi connection and a NIC card

I keep the NIC card manually DISABLED because I use the wifi card to connect to the network/internet and the NIC has NOTHING connected to it. One day i’ll drop a cat5 cable down inside the wall and not use wireless.

At this point I open the windowz network shraing center, select change adapter settings and disable my wifi adapter

and then enable my NIC adapter.

5) The Hub connects after a few moments just like it would if it were on a router. Meaning, it shows up on my PC and reacts in EXACTLY the same ways it does when on the network. NOTHING else is changed, not even the workgroup name. It’s still “workgroup”.

You’ll see about the same transfer speeds as you would on a wired connection (6-9mb). This is why I usually just pull the drive and go USB with it.

There might be other windowz network settings that need to be made, I don’t know. I’m telling you this is what I do and it WORKS for ME. Maybe having had it on my network and working there has something to do with it as windowz already recognizes it. This info has been poo-pooed by others on this forum when I have posted it before. All sorts of guesses have been made as to why it’s working. I can tell you that I originally read about how to do this ON THIS FORUM when I first got my Hub about 2 years ago. I can’t find that thread but I got that info here and so I pass it on to those that want to try it. For those non-believers ---- Raspberries :stuck_out_tongue:

If I’m reading what you did correctly - the simplest method to fix your problem would be to hook the Hub up to the TV and change the IP address. For example, if it is currently 192.168.1.10 , simply set it to 192.168.1.11

You gave your Hub the IP address of your PC. Only one device on a subnet can have a particular IP address without causing conflcts.

Since it is on the same subnet as your PC, it can see it, but the IP conflict will cause a connection problem.

If you do not have a router, then you are likely hooked directly from your PC to your cable/dsl modem. You really don’t want to be messing with your ip address assigned by your ISP. It will cause more problems.

As far as cross over cables go - as long as you have a fast ethernet adapter and have a “real” cat5/6 patch cable (not some cheap 4 wire throw away) your adapter should autodetect the connection fine.