Unsafe removal of storage device under new fw 1.03.07

Hi, I have the 2014 version and installed the new firmware 1.03.07.
It solved the problem of my 2TB Seagate external usb harddrive not being recognized at all but now in the middle of a movie the drive is disconnected- or unsafe removed as the error displayed, … just spontaneous.
Anyone knows how to prevent this from happening?

Many thanks

before you go guessing it’s a firmware issue, try a different USB cable, or a different USB Input (Front or Back) or a different HDD … and see it does the same thing.

1 Like

Of course, your external HD is plugged directly into WDTV, yes? Yes to Joey’s suggestions, but if by any chance they don’t make a difference, there’s nothing wrong with using “reset all settings back to factory default”. I’ve done that since the update and it hasn’t spoiled anything. Clearly this is an unprecise science as the update did partially improve things, but since it stops in the middle of a movie, I would do the reset, knowing that if it nullifies the update’s positive effect, you can run the update again. I say don’t be frightened of trying things because staying as you are isn’t an option, anyone on here will tell you WDTV working correctly is better than that. I can’t imagine anything more annoying!

Agree also with WatchBackup’s suggestion of a Factory Reset as well

The thing is … with computer’s / electronics / media players etc
If something “funny” is happening you have to “change” “something” to see if anything changes and/or solves the problem.

There is no “definitive” answer to you question … because, personally the “problem” you’ve described has never happened to me using WDTV media players in over 8 years (and only using Western Digital External Hard Drives)

1 Like

Thank you guys I’ll try the factory reset and see how it behaves. As for my ‘problem’ with the previous fw the drive disconnected multiple times (even at night while sleeping) ending up the drive not being recognized at all on both ports and yes, I checked a lot, cables , different file formats , different usb drive, checked drive on pc and lots of other troubleshooting for many hours. Therefore I was glad this new fw was released. Though the disconnect happened 1 time yet, after the new fw release this has been reduced very well. I’ll keep you posted , thanks again for your thoughts.

1 Like

Nothing to do with nothing, Owlie, but if the worst comes to the worst, a Western Digital external drive will set you back about £55 or so. I admit though, that that’s because I had a bad Seagate HD, one that I felt I had wrapped in cotton wool and should not have gone wrong! Other than that, of course where recognition problems are concerned, same brand hardware can alleviate it. Just if the worst comes to the worst!

I stopped buying Seagate HDD’s about 10 years ago … nothing but problems

Have had no issues with any of my many Western Digital HDD’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s rare (only a few times in as many years), but I’ve had a few instances where the drive wasn’t recognized. The only thing that fixed it was, plugging it back into the computer and running a disc scan.

I use a WD Elements 2tb drive, and transfer files about once a week. Once a month or so I get the “the drive has issues” type message in Windows. And while the scan never discovers any problems, it might be that the Live box changes the folder structure in some way, a way that Windows doesn’t agree with.

1 Like

To add to the list of good suggestions. while drive is on computer being scanned and fixed for errors, it is a good idea to also delete the hidden database file on drive named .wd_tv since it can get corrupted, and once deleted, it will be rebuilt when the drive is plugged back into the WDTV.

As for Seagate vs WD drives, they are both fine companies and drives from either are sufficient for a WDTV where the drives are not constantly in use 24/7. I would rather have an upper end Seagate than a bottom of line WD drive (or vice versa). Drives from all companies come in all levels of quality and price ranges.

1 Like