Unmountable Boot Error After Writing Zeros to Disc

Dell laptop with a WD 750GB Black hard disc.  Decided to do a clean install of the OS after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I wanted to start with a clean drive and used Western Digital’s Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS.

Wrote zeros to the drive, and then booted to my retail version of Windows 7 64 bit, only to receive an unmountable boot error.  Ran a quick test on the disc and it came back error free.

Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to correct it?  Thank you.

I have seen some errors using LifeGuard while writing zeros. My errors were of the “Zeros Writing Error!” variety. I asked about it here and no WDC employee had an answer. In my case I reformatted the drive using Windows (make sure it is Vista, 7, or 8, not XP) and the drive worked fine. I wonder if the latest version of LifeGuard is fussy. Perhaps the WDC moderators can supply a link to a version of LifeGuard previous to 28, but in the meantime I suggest reformatting the drive. Version 24, which I have from ten years ago, seems to work a little better.

For what it’s worth I used an older version, 5.20.  Installed on a floppy.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I format the drive since I can’t get the OS on it to begin with?

Also, just completed running the full test and it came back with no errors on the hard drive.

It sounds like you have multiple PCs, so just mount the drive internally via SATA or externally via USB and run Windows formatting, wiping the drive, and then create a partition. Or did you mean something else?

I don’t know why, but gave installation a few more tries and on about the 12th atttempt the OS installed.  No idea why it wouldn’t, no idea why it eventually did.  But I’m relieved.  Strange, indeed.