Unit freezes while playing videos from usb

I havwe a WD TV Live HD that I have connected to my PC through a CAT cable and it plays fine. I like the unit and recommended it to a friend. Unfortunately he said that the video freezes while playing. Mostly MKV’s but also AVI’s. The video will play about ten minutes then it freezes and nothing can get it going again but restarting the unit.

This is kind of embarrasing that it is such a problem for him. He did the firmware updates immediately after unboxing and connected his 1 Tb external HDD and started to watch a movie but it froze.

Is there a setting he should be tweaking? Is this a known problem?

Did he tried to play the files from another hard drive or USB memory?

He was playing video from a 1Tb external hard drive plugged into the WD’s USB port.

Did WD go with a different manufacturer lately, because it semms something has hapened to quality control. My older unit works flawlessly, his newer unit, nothing but problems, and it’s oevrheating.

It’s really annoying, the advertising for this thing makes it seem simple to set up , easy to use, and will play most everything flawlessly and that really doent seem to be the case.

Has he tried resetting to factory defaults by pressing the side button for a few seconds and releasing with the player fully booted up.

How do you know it is overheating?

You say “It’s really annoying, the advertising for this thing makes it seem simple to set up , easy to use, and will play most everything flawlessly and that really doent seem to be the case” but for you this is the case, isn’t it?

Reset it? I dont think so. He just unpacked the thing and updated it. If this thing needs a factory reset the day you buy it I would say the product is flawed.

Does it work for me as it advertises, well yes but I use it in a different way, through a CAT cable as a network share. I have never tried to play from the USB, so maybe this is a common problem.

Does the manufacturer have reps at this site or is it mostly people who own the product suggesting that you reboot?

Is there a competing unit someone would recommend?

rocks911 wrote:

Reset it? I dont think so. He just unpacked the thing and updated it. If this thing needs a factory reset the day you buy it I would say the product is flawed.

Does it work for me as it advertises, well yes but I use it in a different way, through a CAT cable as a network share. I have never tried to play from the USB, so maybe this is a common problem.

Does the manufacturer have reps at this site or is it mostly people who own the product suggesting that you reboot?

It is recommended by WD to reset to factory defaults if you have a problem particularly after an update, it really is no big deal. This is a user to user forum only. If you want you can contact WD support so that they can tell you the same thing. I am not sure what you think a reset is but its certainly not the end of the world. The only thing a reset does is reset the player to defaults and delete any logon information, it does roll back any firmware etc.

I may not be a WD rep but I can assure you that I do know what I’m talking about. It may be that your friends problem is not solved by a reset but its the first thing you should try.

Has anyone found a fix for this? My unit has gotten to the point where almost every single video will freeze… I stopped using my WDTV live altogether because it freezes so often with my 3 TB Mybook drive. Apparently 3 TB drives are not supported? Woulda been nice if they’d written that on the box… coulda saved myself $100 for this piece of junk