Unique use case - hard drive recommendations welcome

Hi all, I’ve got a desktop that I power on maybe once every month or two, mostly for backing up my portable devices. However, while it’s on I’ll be browsing the web and maybe playing Kerbal Space Program. The machine is almost exclusively used for personal files, but some are very large (home video).

I prefer the OS and applications (including Kerbal) to be installed on a smallish SSD (about 200 GB, of which actually only 25 GB are in use), with /home on a large, reliable HDD. That large, reliable HDD is ostensibly backed up off site, but in reality that rarely happens. So I’d really like to buy the hard drive which is most reliable, and I have no real need for hard drive performance. My files are being copied overnight anyway, I don’t care if it takes twenty minutes or six hours. And the only performance-sensitive application, Kerbal, is installed on the SSD anyway.

I really like WD drives, but examining their current offerings I don’t see anything that fits my use case: reliability trading off performance. Perhaps the NAS drives (Red series) would be best for this? Are those drives reliable when the machine is turned off for weeks at a time? What other drives are?

Hi @dotancohen,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thank you Keerti. I filled out a support ticket, but upon submission I get this response:

Warning
There was a problem with the request and the action could not be completed

I’m not sure what is wrong, I filled out all the fields properly. I will note that after choosing the language (English - Europe) the Country field was unable to be selected, but the form validation insisted on selecting a Country. So I added selected="selected" to my country and that enabled selection of the Country, satisfying the form validation. Yet despite this, the form would not be submitted and there was not mention of what “a problem with the request” might have been.