Understanding auto backup from iphone vs uploading all pics

Well, I may be past the login and connect issues for a while. Now I’ve managed to connect via the iPhone app, and I’ve used autobackup, but it hasn’t quite done what i expected it to.

At the moment, I have more than 1,300 photos on my iphone! The whole impetus for buying the MC was to get those off the phone and onto the MC! So when I finally managed to get connected via the app, and autobackup did its thing, it seems to have “autobacked up” a portion of the 1,300 pics but nowhere near all of them. I’m not sure why.

So that brings me to my question: Is there an easy way for me to simply upload all my pics now on my iphone directly to my Mycloud? I’ve read the manual. I’ve seen the parts that tell me how to upload from my PC. I know how to do that. I’m trying to upload directly from the iPhone to the MC without first having to move pics from the phone to my desktop computer. If that’s how I have to do it, fine; tell me and I’ll do it. I just want to know if what I’d like to do is possible at all.

I will say that so far I have not mapped any of the shares to my desktop, so directly dragging and dropping that way from the desktop to the MC isn’t possible for me yet, but I understand that and I’ll deal with it. I’m curious if connecting the phone to the MC via a USB cable would work, for example.

As indicated in the My Cloud User Manual, Chapter 8 Accessing Your My Cloud Device Remotely, Mobilizing Your Files with the My Cloud Mobile App, one can use an iOS or Android device and the My Cloud app for iOS or Android to access their My Cloud and backup photos from their mobile device to the My Cloud. See the following links for more information and links to the mobile app(s).

http://mycloud.com/learn/?id=mycloud#access-mobileapps
http://mycloud.com/learn/?id=mycloud#mc_download

Thx but this misses my point. I know how to back up to the Cloud. My
issue was: my phone isn’t displaying my entire inventory of pictures I know
are on the phone. I’ve since learned it’s an issue with ios9 and the
absence since ios8 of the “camera roll”.

Did you have Auto-Lock of iPhone set to Never as directed in the link I sent you?

When I first did this, my wife’s phone had over 1200 photos/videos in the Camera Roll. The upload process for ALL took around a half hour, as I recall. I also connect our mobile devices to the home 5G signal ,and my home network runs at gigabit speed; either or both helps speed up the whole process.

Once all the Camera Rolls of ours were uploaded, I moved the uploaded files into new separate sub-folders in Shared Pictures for each of us, and the upload folder was empty again and ready for the next time.

No I did not. You were right about that. Once I did that and shoved the
paper clip in the hole in the back I did transfer about 110 of my newest
pics from the phone to My cloud.

The pblm now with ios9 or 10 is that since ios8, with iCloud photo library
turned on, the phone won’t show the 1,314 old pics not in the library
even though I know they are on the phone. Hence I can’t select them to be
uploaded to any device. At least I know they are all in iCloud. Which only
brings me to my next hurdle!

Next, if I turn OFF the iCloud photo library, so that the phone WILL show
all the old pics, my phone still won’t work (let me select all the old pics
for transfer to any device) because iCloud needs more room to do what I
want to do and I’m too cheap to buy more iCloud storage from Apple! That’s
my cross to bear and I’ll bear it!:joy:

So at the moment I’m moving 25 or so humongous videos I took on the phone
while we were watching lava pouring into the Pacific ocean on Hawaii two
months ago! Once I’ve done that I’ll blow out the 2 GB of vids in my
iCloud to make more room and maybe that’ll do it!

OK, I hope you read my …READ THIS post again about Auto-lock issue. (Also do not forget to put auto-lock back on for five minutes or whatever you had it on after completely uploading the mass of Camera Roll.) Once I had figured out the issues, I deleted all previous attempts at uploading from My Cloud and started afresh. All went well.