Unable To Write Files To MBL Using WD2GO Remotely

Hi all,

i’ve been trying for 2 days to send files to my MBL from elsewhere than home and my local network therein.

I contacted WD tech support, and the short answer is that you cannot write remotely to a MBL - so this is something to take into consideration if you’re thinking of buying one!  They don’t know if or when such a facility will be implemented either.

To me, this seems like a basic function for a NAS drive and I can’t believe it’s been left out with the MBL.

Anyway, if anyone’s got any ideas, please let me know.

Cheers

Rick

If you’re trying to copy files from your mobile phone then, no you can’t.  Which wouldn’t make sense anyway, since you’d only use your phone for viewing things.  But you should be able to do it from another computer.  You just have to make sure that when you set up your WD 2go, you give yourself read and write permissions.

Thanks mate, but I’ve set up read and write permissions already as per your suggestion.

WD support say that it isn’t possible to write from a remote computer to the MBL - it’s just ridiculous really!!

I simply don’t understand it - this should just be like a hard drive that you’re accessing and using from somewhere other than home!

Any help is much appreciated.

Rick

Not sure what you are talking about here.

With WD2go.com, you can mount the My Book Live as if it was a local mapped drive on your remote computer. You can copy files back and forth from the My Book Live.

“With WD2go.com, you can mount the My Book Live as if it was a local mapped drive on your remote computer. You can copy files back and forth from the My Book Live.”

Sorry Tony, but according to your telephone support people/backoffice people, apparently the MBL does not support writing to it using wd2go on a remote computer - that’s exactly what took me by surprise as well!!!

I don’t know why, but when I logged in on the remote mac using wd2go and opened the respective Public share and My share, they didn’t show the folders contained within them which are already present such as the default Shared PIctures, Shared Music etc. - would this indicate some alternative problem which would point to another solution being called for?

Cheers

Rick

Sorry about the incorrect information.

Opening the Public Share should show everything under that share (including all the Shared Music/Videos/Pictures).

It is interesting that everything works, yet you cannot see the shares. You are logging in as the “admin”? and not a user… right?

Just to verify I logged into my box at home through my Mac at work and can see all the folders under Public.

There is probably something else going on. Are you in relayed mode or direct? Have you tried another computer? Is this on your home network or outside your home network?

Tony, I show up as admin when I log in - interestingly it is in relayed mode and I can’t seem to change this even though I’ve got upnp enabled on my router. On my home network, if I log into wd2go then get to the show in finder screen, everything does show up in that finder screen (ie all folders show). The problem I had was when on another mac on another network away from home when I logged in just fine but the folders didn’t show up. Cheers Rick

Sounds like an issue with your Mac.  What Mac OS version and java version are you using?

You can find out the java version by:

1. Open terminal
  2. Type ”Java  –version”

Hi Tony,

Mac OSX Lion

java version “1.6.0_26”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-383-11A511c)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-383, mixed mode)

HTH

Cheers

Rick