Unable to use Time machine Wirelessly?.....I got the solution :)

I have just bought 2Tb mybooklive. I read that it was unadvisable to load the included software on my Windows 7 x64 machine and also that it was unnessasary. I updated the firmware to MyBookLive  02.10.12-129 : Core F/W, From my Windows machine, I have created shares and users and FTP and all is working fine.

My problem is now i would like to utilise Time Machine on a couple of Mac Air machines. I follow the intructions, but am never able to see the timemachine “share”… 

Do i need to install any software on the Mac’s before following the setting up Timemachine backup? or is this simply a case of it doesnt actually work with timemachine when wirelessly connected? (Not sure how these Macs can connect other than wirelessly as there is no Ethernet RJ45 connector).

Any Help most aprreciated, even if it is just “It won’t work”

Jeeze, Don’t believe this - looked at the Mac again to follow moon1’s 18 steps and now the drive is there - and I haven’t done anything at all.

Mike 47

I had some difficuty getting my 2Tb My Book Live set up on my MacBook Pro.  I called both Apple support and WD support and they fixed me up with some ‘updated’ firmware I had to download.  My problem is the reverse of your comment two weeks ago - I now want to add our Windows 7 PC.  That computer is on the same wireless router and it crashes after about ten minutes when the WD MBL is plugged in.  Everything is fine when I unplug the MBL and restart the PC. 

How do you suggest I go about adding the PC so it will accept the new hardware?  Nothing comes up on the machine the way I would have expected.  I don’t want to change the way the Time Machine automatically backs up my MacBook Pro.

Thanks

Great. It did work for me.Thx moon1

I made some slight changes to the instructions.

1. Open Finder and click on Go

2. click on connect to server

3. on the address bar type in AFP://ipaddress

4. Connect as guest to the time machine share

5. Open System preferences

6. Go to Users and Groups

7. Select your user.

8. Click on login items.

9. Click on the + sign.

10. Click in the Mybooklive that is located under share.

11. Click on the TimeMachine share.

12. Click on Add.

13. click on the “hide” check box.

14. Open time machine preferences

15. Select Disk

16. You should be able to see the time machine share with the IP address

17. Click on Use Backup Disk

18. Connect as guest

1 Like