Unable to update SmartWare

I just installed my brand new MyBook Essential 3.0 on my (USB3.0) Win 7 64 Pro and after starting the program I was notified of an update to the software and hardware was available. I downloaded the software and followed the instructions (disable firewall, virus check, closed the 3 WDD services, remain connected to the Internet, disconnect other USB hardware, etc) but I’m not able to update because I get this message: “The application has encountered an unexpected error…”  Please help!

If the drive works OK now and you don’t have any issues don’t bother with the updates. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If something goes wrong in the update you can wind up with a useless drive. I don’t update mine.

Joe

2 Likes

I agree with Joe.

1 Like

Thanks Joe, I appreciate that and that’s what I’ll do!

Joe_S wrote:

If the drive works OK now and you don’t have any issues don’t bother with the updates. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If something goes wrong in the update you can wind up with a useless drive. I don’t update mine.

Joe

This has to be one of the best advice EVER, if you do not need a feature of an update, then why do it?