Unable to set Date and Time to correct value

With NTP switched on the date and time seems to drift to incorrect values.
Switched NTP off and tried to set value manually.
Each time I set the correct value it seems to display the previous date, after several times I gave up.
My PC’s Date and Time is correct.

Hello,

Please try resetting the unit. Also, make sure that you have the correct time zone set on the unit.

John,

I am not sure what you mean by “drift”.

If you mean that the system slowly looses, or gains, time over some interval, I’d really begin to suspect a bad box. The system time on these things are crystal controlled down to a gnat’s hair. The time should be stable. Perhaps wrong, but stable.

If the time appears to magically “jump” to some incorrect value, and it always jumps to that incorrect value, (say two hours ahead, or four hours behind, etc.), then I would strongly suspect that your time-zone is set incorrectly. If I remember correctly, MY system had the time zone set to something wacky like GMT - 8:00 or GMT - 12:00, and I had to set it to my correct time-zone, (Eastern). (Of course, it’s only wacky if you don’t live there! ;))

Also, did you turn the NTP service on? (I believe it defaults to “OFF”)

Do you have a sane NTP server source set? (I don’t use Microsoft’s time service)

I have used “time.nist.gov” or “tick.usno.navy.mil” / “tock.usno.navy.mil” which come right out of the US Navy’s Observatory in Annapolis if I am not mistaken. There are other good ones that you can find using a web search. Obviously, the closer the time source is to you, the better the accuracy.

Give it a try and let us know what happened!

Jim “JR”

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your response.
With NTP switched on ( I am using the default which is microsoft.time - ) I find that when I go to dashboard/settings it is all greyed out and the time displayed is always slow - a lot slow like over 24 hrs sometimes. But if I hover over NTP the grey disappears and it picks up correct date and time. How ever if I leave it and go back later the same happens again, so its not seeming to keep up with correct time.
I tried to set in manually thinking it was NTP at fault but in this case could not set right date, although I was setting it correctly it seemed to insist on displaying the previous day.
I am using My cloud to backup stuff and hold Time Machine backups and I have configured usb to do daily updates at a certain time however if the box can’t keep time its a bit of a waste of time.
I have a grandfather clock in the hall which was produced in 1765 and it keeps much better time than WD MyCloud. I’ll try your suggestion to change NTP server. Many thanks for your interest . John

Hi Elmore!,
I have reloaded box a number of times, which takes ages - 10 mins?? to no effect
I am using GMT London time which is correct for me.
Thanks for your suggestions anyway

There’s a possibility that it’s just a problem with the Dashboard. In which case, you may want to login to the Linux OS running on the MyCloud, via SSH, using a tool such as PuTTY, to get to the Linux command line.

Once you have done that, use the Linux command ‘date’ to see what time it is.

If that shows the time not updating correctly, it’s possible you have a faulty crystal or RTC.

I want to add this example image. Have you gone through all these steps?

Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

cat0w

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem. My Cloud does not seem to get the correct time and date from the NTP server. I have tried a few different ones but to no avail.

When I manually set the date and time e.g. date of 10th April 2016, it always shows as 9th April 2016 after saving. It is not a timezone issue as I have tried many combinations includung setting my timezone to GMT. The only way to fix it is to manualy set the date using the calendar, but select tomorrows date e.g. in the above example, select 11th April 2016. It then shows up as the date I want.

Regards

Darryl

P.S. After reading about all of the problems with firmware version 04.04.02-105 I wonder if it is because of the new firmware

Hi I’ve come to same conclusion. You have to set time manually and set the date to tomorrow’s to get it to show today’s date. Does anyone validate this firmware before release I wonder. WD needs to spend s bit of money on testing rather than marketing.
Ive also noticed that having manually set date to tomorrows date and checked that it set todays date after a couple of days checked it again and the date has returned back to yesterdays i.e 1 day behind again. This must be such an obvious bug I’m surprised it not been sorted out.

Chalk me up as one who just noticed the time was off on the Dashboard > Settings > General page. It is off by seven hours (earlier) than current time which puts the date one day behind. The time the following screen capture was taken was Saturday 5:44 am Eastern Standard Time.

I wonder if the problem stems from the My Cloud not getting the proper date/time from the internet NTP server (in my case the time.windows.com server) and defaulting to some generic date/time setting within the My Cloud that is not using the time zone setting from the Dashboard. Would be nice if there was an update time button on the Dashboard to force the firmware to resync the time with the Internet NTP server.

Turning off and on the NTP switch didn’t seem to fix the issue for me. What did fix the issue was using SSH to issue the ntpdate command + internet time server name or IP address. For example from the SSH command line: ntpdate time.windows.com. Then turning off then turning back on the NTP Service switch in the Dashboard. Then the Dashboard updated with the correct date/time.

I am also facing the same issue. The device is not updating the date. Time zones are correctly set. NTP turned on and off, Tried manual updating the date, nothing worked. SSH ntpdate time.windows.com. also did not work. Kindly help

I have exactly the same problem (in fact I have had it on 2 different mycloud devices as the first one broke and was replaced. I have updated firmware, rebooted many times, what every I do - either using NTP or manual time when I return to check a few days later the date and time are set some point in the past (it currently thinks it is Sept 2016 - clearly it is March 2017).

My belief is that this issue is stopping my automatic safepoints running (logic would dictate that if the machine doesn’t know what time / date it is how does it know when to run a safepoint or when things were last backed up!!). However WD have gone through the usual updating firmware etc on this problem too - but they have to be linked!

Hello,:slight_smile:
You can resolve this problem by manual:
1)Administrative panel->Settings->Network->Network services->SSH set “ON”
2)Start SSH-client, login as root/welc0me, and write command to check your current date:
date
then write command to change your current date to real date:
date +%Y%m%d -s “20170515”
then write command to change your current time to real time:
date +%T -s “11:26:02”
after that you can check that date and time are correct:
date
exit
3)Administrative panel->Settings->Network->Network services->SSH set “OFF”

Same issue to me.
I’ve solved fixing net connection. If our WDHD is not connected to internet, it’s unable to get correct date.
Hope you find this helpful ^_^.

[How to connect wd my cloud directly to my win7 computer without any router? - #2 by Bennor]
You may need to use a program like WD Access which can be downloaded/installed from the WD Support Downloads page (Page Not Found | WD Support) to find the My Cloud.

1 Like