Unable to re-partition 1TB G-Drive SSD (Mac)

Wanted to re-partition working 1TB SSD G-drive.
The Disk Utility Erase is successful, but when I try to re-partition the following is displayed:
This volume has 617.9 MB used space.
You can not remove the first volume on the disk.

It appears one of the original partitions/volumes has disappeared, but the space is not being returned to available…even after erase, even tho’ unmounted.

Initially the drive had 2 MacOS Extd Journaled partitions.
As part of this change, I first setup an APFS volume, but wasn’t sure how this would play out on other Macs, so I did remove that APFS volume. Since then it appears that the ‘space’ is not being returned?
I thought an Erase and Re-Partition would set things right, but I guess not.
Any help to get the 1TB SSD back to a working drive would be much appreciated.

The 640MB would be negligible amount of space so it shouldn’t matter but yes when you use an APFS layer it creates it like you’re experiencing. Your computer won’t ever mount the extra bit, its only visible in Disk Utility.

We don’t have a built in guide for this process as it is not part of our drives makeup and we don’t support the use of APFS as it is. But here is an article that explains the process. Removing APFS The Right Way(3rd party site)

Thank you for your reply.
So sorry, I mistakenly reported MB which is in fact GB… so over half the drive is now inaccessible. Disk Utility identifies the 617MB you mentioned, but it also shows a ‘lost’ partition of 600GB. I hope the attachments explain more clearly.
If nothing can be done now to repair the format, then it seems like a very expensive, and software or firmware preventable & recoverable problem.
p

r .

I checked out the link you provided and it seemed like a solution was at hand.
Unfortunately my situation is different enough from the examples that I could not successfully perform the outlined steps. Having done enough damage, I did not want to risk guessing what parameter the diskutility program needed.

Thank you for the recommended link re ‘Removing APFS the Correct Way’.
I included the diskutil list on the web-site and noted my inability to still remove the unusable APFS file system.
I have not had any other input and wondered if you could please take a look at the listing and hopefully offer some further advice.
Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards,
Michael Jenkins

You would need to contact Apple for support regarding their file system.