Unable to Play MP42 Codec (MP4)

Dear Users,

I have recently started downloaded HD videos from youtube using a registered downloader which is saving the video files with extension .MP4 . However when I’m trying to play the file in my WD 1 TB Live Hub then its showing the error “Unable to play the selected file”

I’m here by pasting the media info. It is requested to guide me and tell i there is any workaround for this problem or will it be fixed in its next bios update?

General
Complete name : D:\Sorenson\33 - Aston Martin Music - Rick Ross.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 233 MiB
Duration : 6mn 18s
Overall bit rate : 5 158 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-10-13 20:16:48
Tagged date : UTC 2010-10-13 20:16:48
gsst : 0
gstd : 378373
gssd : B4A7DA905HH1292926936255086
gshh : v5.lscache3.c.youtube.com
Xtra : WM/MediaClassPrimaryID
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=35
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 5 027 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 12.8 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 24.000 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.810 fps
Maximum frame rate : 24.390 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.101
Stream size : 227 MiB (97%)
Tagged date : UTC 2010-10-13 20:16:54
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 125 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 154 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 5.63 MiB (2%)
Title : (C) 2007 Google Inc. v08.13.2007.
Encoded date : UTC 2010-10-13 20:16:52
Tagged date : UTC 2010-10-13 20:16:54

That’s because mp42 (MPEG-4 version 2) is not in the list of codecs the HUB can decode.  The .mp4 extension at the end of the file is just the container and the mp42 is how it is encoded.  I’m not that fimiliar with mp42, but from my understanding, it was an older non-standardized version of MPEG-4 before it became standardized. 

Anyway, you’ll either need to change the way your downloader save the file or you’ll have to remux the files to a more compliant codec.  Either something like .mp4 (h.264) or .mp4 (MPEG-1, 2, or 4).

can you guide me for any video converter which converts the video into respective formation without any loss of quality in video ?

Well, as I said, I’m not that fimiliar with mp42, but I believe that DivX Converterwould be able to convert the files.

You can also try MKVtoolnix to convert the files to .mkv(h.264), this is my perfered format.

If neither of those work for you, I would try HANDBRAKE, it will usually convert just about anything and you can convert either to .mp4 or .mkv.  However, I usually don’t like to use this for already compressed video, like YouTube videos, but as long as you set it to a high profile, you will not see any noticable quality loss.

If you need help or guides on how to use these tools, I would suggest visiting VideoHelp.com.  You’ll find a lot of info here, guides and how-to’s, and you’ll also, if nothing works, find just about any software listed that might help you in the TOOLS section.

Thanks a lot for your help … It worked

I have found out the way to remux the video using vlc player … as shown the snapshots below

By using this Method you can play MP42 videos in WD Player WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF QUALITY . By using this method one can also convert any non WD compatible video in WD Compatible format. 

Thanks for this! I have a bunch of stuff that is mp42 that won’t play on my media box. One question: Is it supposed to take a super long time to convert? I followed your instructions and it’s going slower than if I just played the video. All I see in the destination file right now is a post script file.

It only takes 3-4 seconds per video !! As its not encoding … its just changing its headers syntax !! 

Hmm. Ok then I did something wrong. Mined streamed and created an 87 meg post script file but didn’t make a new video. Where did I go wrong. I followed your pictures exactly.

tried it agian. this time it only gave me HALF the video and ONLY SOUND. Is  there a codec better than H-264? Maybe my media box can’t play them?

can you give me Media Info of the file that you are trying to play in WD ?

Sure, I had to run it thru G Spot but this is what it gave me. I did try again with a DIVX-3 codec, choosing AVI encapsulation, and I got the whole video but at half speed with no sound. Arg. This stupid video just won’t convert for the meda box. I tried the h-264 codec a few times, with and without MPG4/AVI encap, and a few differnet other variations as well, but always to no avail . Your help is much apprectiated. Thanks.

size:695 MEGS

bit rate 128 kps

duration 1:22

Container: Open DML (AVI v2.0)

AVI overhead 7.58

audio format: MPEG Layer-3

frame rate: 29

data rate 1031 kpbs

Video Codec: MP42

Video: S Mpeg4 Version 2

Audio codec: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3

audio info: 44100Hz  128 kb/s tot , Stereo