Unable To Play A Iso File

There are certain DVD ISO files that WDTV LIVE HUB refuses to play in Gallery mode, However, the same plays fine in Preview mode. I had posted my finding about this issue with respect to DVD_VR many months ago here 

But it seems that apart from all of my home videos which are in DVD ISO media format not playing there are certain Ripped DVD ISO files which refuses to play in Gallery mode, These files  *ALWAYS* play fine when you attempt them in Preview mode.

IHMO - The Firmware code that plays DVD.ISO in “Gallery mode” is t otally different than the Firmware code that is used to play DVD ISO in Preview mode,

IHMO, The files launched using the  “preview”  option is much faster has " ZOOM function"  similar to what is found when using files in other files formats like mkv, AVI etc; But you loose the DVD Menu functionality

The DVD ISO playback Firmware code that has “DVD MENU” option does not have these features like ZOOM and is lot slower when you do >>>FF and <<<<REW… but has “DVD MENU”  — DUH! :smileyvery-happy:

It is not a show stopper but sure drives me mad at times… Why use different code within the same device? Also why certain feature set is different from others when you are attempting to play basically the same file in same media format is beyond my comprehension…

Oh well… :neutral_face:  Someday someone will read this and fix it… otherwise… life goes on… 

Cheers! …

Vistawall wrote:

There are certain DVD ISO files that WDTV LIVE HUB refuses to play in Gallery mode, However, the same plays fine in Preview mode. I had posted my finding about this issue with respect to DVD_VR many months ago here 

But it seems that apart from all of my home videos which are in DVD ISO media format not playing there are certain Ripped DVD ISO files which refuses to play in Gallery mode, These files  *ALWAYS* play fine when you attempt them in Preview mode.

IHMO - The Firmware code that plays DVD.ISO in “Gallery mode” is t otally different than the Firmware code that is used to play DVD ISO in Preview mode,

IHMO, The files launched using the  “preview”  option is much faster has " ZOOM function"  similar to what is found when using files in other files formats like mkv, AVI etc; But you loose the DVD Menu functionality

The DVD ISO playback Firmware code that has “DVD MENU” option does not have these features like ZOOM and is lot slower when you do >>>FF and <<<<REW… but has “DVD MENU”  — DUH! :smileyvery-happy:

It is not a show stopper but sure drives me mad at times… Why use different code within the same device? Also why certain feature set is different from others when you are attempting to play basically the same file in same media format is beyond my comprehension…

Oh well… :neutral_face:  Someday someone will read this and fix it… otherwise… life goes on… 

Cheers! …

I believe that the preview mode uses the old normal playing mode which makes some sense as it is a preview mode where you may want to see the main film start in the preview window, this mode is no different then the mode used to play mp4, avi etc. After much hassle WD added DVD menu support and to do that they developed a completely new mode which seems to have caused some problems.

I had similar issues with some DVD’s I made of home movies using an old Sony DVDirect recorder.  I found the issue was in how the recorder created the DVD menu.  It appears to have used a template that could accommodate up to 9 buttons (clickable areas within the menu), but if less than 9 were needed (e.g. not that many chapters), some of the buttons didn’t link to anything.  Once I used a tool to remove the dummy/invisible buttons, my Hub was able to open and play them correctly.

I’m not sure if the files created with the older rippers had similar issues, but if anyone else runs into this problem and isn’t interested in going through the trouble of re-ripping the DVD’s the process isn’t that difficult.

You can find further details in my response to this thread…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub/Sony-Recorder-DVD-R-ISO-s-not-playing-SOLUTION-YET/td-p/93820

There’s a link to the app along with instructions for removing unwanted buttons.  Don’t be intimidated by it.  It was very easy to follow.

Tony

While the new firmware is not fully bug free, I am happy to report those certain ISO files (DVD Media) which failed to run in Gallery mode and used to work only in PREVIEW mode is now working correctly with FW 2.04.13

Thank You WD for listening to the community and we appreciate your hard work on fixing the bugs…

Cheers! and thank you to the WD developers!

With Best wishes