Unable to open Office documents on MyBookLive via WD2Go

I’ve read similar posts,  but none stated the issue clearly.  I’m attempting to open Office documents on a MyBookLive share via WD2GO,  and get prompted for credentials repeatedly which don’t accept valid userid/password.  In this example, I can mount the Share, navigate the directories,  and Explorer can even preview the Excel file,  but attempting to launch Excel causes the repetitive credentials box.   I am using Windows 7 64-bit,  with Office 2010.  I’ve attached the credentials pop up box,   as well as the Explorer screenshot that shows the preview of the Excel file.  Any help is most appreciated.

Credentials

Hi, that sounds like a windows file permission problem, check if the link below helps.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

One cannot open Office 2010 documents via WD 2go because Office doesn’t support WebDAV authentication.

Your only option is to copy the document to your PC, and then open it locally.

Ok,  I’ve successfully opened Excel documents on the MyBookLive using WD2Go,  but there’s a variable I don’t understand.   It appears to be some flaky bug,   and not related to WebDAV support.   Once you’re logged onto WD2Go,  and attempt to open the Excel file,  you are prompted yet again with a Credentials box (see above).   If you patiently ignore the box by clicking  OK  (without entering any username/password)   then after 6 or 7 times,   it magically opens the Excel files and you have full access.  Again,  appears to be some bug.

Excel success.JPG

You are 100% correct.  I get those exact same symptoms.  Click “Cancel” on the “Windows Security” screen 3X, process continues briefly, click “Cancel” on the “Authentication Required” screen 3X again and voila, the excel spreadsheet opens for editing.

Interestingly, when you go to save the document the “Windows Security” pops up again, click “Cancel” 3X again and the document gets saved.

This only occurs when the connection is established through WD2GO (only tested when connected to the home network).  The network connection I created manually works fine.  

Here’s the output from a “net use” command:

Status   Local      Remote                                          Network

N:           \192.168.1.109\Rick                  Web Client Network

OK          V:            \MyBookLive\Public                    Microsoft Windows Network

OK          W:          \MyBookLive\Rick                        Microsoft Windows Network

The command completed successfully.

The N: drive is the network connection created by WD2GO, the V: and W: drives are those I created manually.

I’m using Office 2007, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

Cheers, RG

There is another way to solve the issue… it worked for me.

I started time ago this thread: http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-593394/streaming-ms-office-files-over-remote-mybooklive

The solution in the thread does not involve WD2GO but can work also with WD2GO, which uses webDAV.

it is just matter of setting up a password for the second layer of security in MS Office… WD dashboard does not foresees this (silly!) and does not provide an option for this… it only makes you choose a password for the dashboard or for the share/admin.

Of course, these passwords do not work for Windows security. So, one has to set up one tweaking MBL system: just follow the instructions to create this username/password.

I AM REALLY SAD THAT SOMEONE SAYS THAT M$ OFFICE DOES NOT SUPPORT WEBDAV AUTHENTICATION OR THAT ONE HAS TO DOWNLOAD FIRST THE OFFICE FILE TO OPEN IT AND THEN UPLOAD IT BACK, OR SIMILAR BULLS**T. THESE ARE JUST LIES!!!

The truth is that it would take very little for WD to add the possibility to control one’s Windows authentication via MBL UI dashboard… the mystery to me is WHY ON EARTH it does not do so…

Thanks!

I reviewed the thread you mentioned and it is obviously Linux/Unix based solution - makes sense since I understand MBL uses imbedded Linux.  Unfortunately, my Linux is extremely limited.  I understand the concept (sort of) but really have no idea how to enable command line access for MBL.  

I guess I’m still SOL.

Cheers, RG

I contacted WD support and here is their answer:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7390/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1ODE4MDM4MS9zaWQvdEpuOE5oZ2w…

The solution is a work-around at best until they get this “bug” fixed IMHO.  I can’t believe they are marketing this as a personal cloud without this basic functionality.

I’ll update this thread as I get more information.

that’s indeed a very LAME solution…

again, this is the only solution I could find for the time being: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WD2go-webDAV-and-MS-Office-2013/m-p/513536#M16552

Hmmm, interesting development last week.

While at a client site, I borrowed a laptop running Vista and Office 2007.  I connected to MBL and opened the Excel document without a problem.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to do further testing.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to try some other scenarios this week.

WDC’s response was quite inadequate.

“We have heard back from Engineering and after working with Microsoft, it appears that this is limitation of Microsoft office 2007 / 2010. MS Office manages remote documents with its own client (Office Upload Center) instead of the WebDav client which is used by WD2go.”  

Their response would have more credibility if it hadn’t worked at my client’s site - same document, same MBL, same WD2GO userid/password ---- granted, I need to do more testing, but …