Unable to mount a My Book on Port 1 EX2 Ultra (left port when viewing from back)

Although I have other EX2 Ultras that I could potentially test this on but everything has been carefully mounted on shelves now so I decided to bring this up on the forum.

It seems that the Left port when viewing the ex2 ultra back directly, doesn’t seem to work? This seems to be the same problem as “Connecting external USB 3.0 2-bay dock to MyCloud EX2 Ultra - only one drive is mounted

I can mount a My Book Duo on port 2 without any problems and in order to have two My Book Duos mounted, I simply daisy chain them since the My Book Duo has two USB 3.0 ports on the back.

Do I have a broken EX2 Ultra or is everyone having the same problems.

Hi Ralphael,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.

So the answer to this question is…

yes the usb port 2 is broken on this one of my EX2 Ultras.

Yesterday night due to excessive activity on one of my shelf EX2 being connected directly to my wifi router, I decided to swap the ex2 on the shelf with one of my ex2 behind my desk that is connected to a switch. I then proceeded to connect my two USB My Book Duos to each USB port on the back of the EX2 and they both mounted without any problems.

I did do a search on this particular problem and apparently I am the second person to post about this.

Thus the answer to: if a USB My Book Duo doesn’t mount on one of the USB port and does mount on the other, then it is a hardware problem.