Unable to map the hub on any computer

I got the hub last Friday and played with it over the weekend. Initial setup worked flawlessly, it found the network, joined my workgroup, I was able to map it to all my computers, transfered files over ethernet, etc. Then, yesterday afternoon it just won’t show in windows explorer on my laptop anymore. I run the diagnostic in Win 7 and it says that it cannot find wdtvlivehub. I check the hub’s network settings and everything looks fine: it has aquired an IP, it has joined the correct workgroup, the network test is OK. Moreover, the hub is able to connect to the internet (youtube, accuweather) and is able to see network shares from other computers and my NAS. Also, from the laptop I am able to open the hub’s webpage. Everything seems allright regarding connectivity, except being able to map it and see it from any computer. I have three computers on my home network, I tried from all of them, same result. I restarted the router - same thing. I restarted the hub - same thing. So basically, at this moment the hub is dead for my network, I am not able to transfer files to and from it (at least not using a computer, probably I should be able to do so from the hub’s interface). 

I ran  the WD discovery utility which said that no WD devices were found on th network. What drives me crazy is that the networking utility on Windows 7 sees the hub as a media server, and is able to open the Twonky interface and play files from the hub, but I am still not able to map it in windows to see it as a hard disk and be able to transfer files to and from it. 

Any solutions? If this can’t be sorted I’ll have to take it back. I have other issues with the hub, related to the functionality, that may make me return it anyway, but this is really a deal breaker. 

I presume you’re trying to connect to it like this:

\WDTVLIVEHUB\WDTVLiveHub

What happens if you try to connect like this:

\[ip address of hub]\WDTVLiveHub

if the FIRST does NOT work but the SECOND DOES, then the PCs that are trying to connect to it are having problems resolving the NetBIOS Name of the Hub, and you should start there.

You were right in your assumption, I’ll try it starting with the IP as soon as I get home in a couple of hours, thanks for the suggestion. 

However, I tried from three computers, would it be possible that they all have the same problem? I suppose this is a computer-specific issue, not a hub issue…

I tried using the IP instead of the name. Still won’t map, but this time I get a different error: it says that the hub won’t accept the connection…

I think I’m sending it back…

Did you TURN ON the Sharing Server on the Hub?

That error message is correct if it’s turned off…

You’ll find this in the SETUP menu under the NETWORK SETTINGS.

The sharing server was on.

But I did find a solution - I reset the hub, from the system menu, there is an option “reset device”. After reset, I was able to map it. 

I still think it’s going back because I’m not happy with a lot of the functionality, especially the music player and the fact that it doesn’t play Apple Lossles files. But I’ll open a new thread on that in a couple of days. 

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. 

Funny thing is that after reset, the workgroup information is lost, so the hub is no longer part of any workgroup, still, I was able to map it on my laptop.

And there’s more - now, even though I was able to map it, it doesn’t show under “network” in Windows Explorer. I mean, it does show as a “media device”, not as a “computer”, like it should. It actually shows twice as a “media device”; double click on one of them opens the twonky server page, the other opens the hub administration page. And, yes, same behaviour after I added it to the workgroup.

dnmtsn wrote:

…It actually shows twice as a “media device”; double click on one of them opens the twonky server page, the other opens the hub administration page. And, yes, same behaviour after I added it to the workgroup.

That’s the correct behavior.

yeah i am having same issues with showing in explorer how can i fix this