Unable to log into My Cloud after latest firmware update AND a factory reset

Hello All,

After experiencing a number of problems with the My Cloud after the latest firmware update, I did a quick reset from the Web UI. When it booted back up I tried to register it with my name / WD email, but it kept giving me errors. I skipped the step and went on to change the device to a Static IP instead of using DHCP. Now whenever I go to the device from a browser, it asks me to log in (with my name being the default). I didn’t register the device or create and users / shares, the admin account is the only thing on there. The reset button at the back of the device also doesn’t work, it just reboots the device no matter what I do. How can I log in to access the device on the web again?

I would assume that these problem are caused by the latest firmware update that WD pushed out yesterday. This update not only locked me out of the device, but caused me to lose over 600GB of videos and other backups I had on there. By the looks of mine and other’s situation, there is not much WD can do since there is no way to update firmware when locked out of the device.

Hello,

We will do our best to make sure you are back up and running.

The webUI is now asking you for a password?  Or is this from a diaglog box from your browser?

Are you able to access the public share on your local network?

Thanks for the reply,

The Web UI is asking for a password, a screenshot of the dialog can be found here. And no, I am unable to access the public or any other share on the local network.

Hello,

Can you try following the “Reset with the power off” procedure on page 120 of the user manual?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

This will get you back into the UI.  If you are prompted with the “setup” screen, just click cancel for now.

What other problems were you experiencing?

1 Like

Thanks,

After a few attempts that seems to have worked! I am able to log back into the system, however, now the device displays as having 0 KB of free space (screenshot here). I have done numerous reboots and shutdowns, but that didn’t fix the problem. The only share the device has is one with no name that clicking on in the UI doesn’t do anything for, and there are no shares visible from the local network.

Try to do a system only factore restore. You will have to recreate your user access rights.

The drive just came from a fresh reset, so there is no users or anything on it anyway. I think I will do a full factory restore overnight, and post back if that fixes everything.

I did a full factory reset, which took over 36 hours, and the problems remain. Although I can log in, the device still shows as having 0KB free, and it has no accessable shares on it. Whats more, it is still running the latest firmware, so clearly a “factory reset” does not actually reset it to a factory state. I’ve run out of things to try, hopefully somebody else has a suggestion otherwise I will be returning it.

grahamhoyes wrote:

I did a full factory reset, which took over 36 hours, and the problems remain. Although I can log in, the device still shows as having 0KB free, and it has no accessable shares on it. Whats more, it is still running the latest firmware, so clearly a “factory reset” does not actually reset it to a factory state. I’ve run out of things to try, hopefully somebody else has a suggestion otherwise I will be returning it.

I asked someone from our support team to contact you.  I’m not sure why your data volume isn’t allowing you to write to it.

Thanks for the help.

Oddly enough, I am able to write to the drive just fine. I had to recreate users and shares again (including the Public share), and all seems fine with writing to them and mapping them to linux. I am not sure if the drive displaying 0 KB free is just a web server error or not, since the shares page accurately reports the size of each share.

I seem to be able to use it fine, but want to make sure it will remain in good working order before I start using it heavily again.

If at all possible, is there some way for me to downgrade to the previous firmware?

grahamhoyes wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Oddly enough, I am able to write to the drive just fine. I had to recreate users and shares again (including the Public share), and all seems fine with writing to them and mapping them to linux. I am not sure if the drive displaying 0 KB free is just a web server error or not, since the shares page accurately reports the size of each share.

I seem to be able to use it fine, but want to make sure it will remain in good working order before I start using it heavily again.

If at all possible, is there some way for me to downgrade to the previous firmware?

Hello,

We do not provide a way to downgrade the firmware. I have seen posts from users on these boards who have figured out how to downgrade.  The only thing that I will caution is if you go through a downgrade, make sure you do a system only factory restore after you are done.

Sorry I cannot be more help here, but we do not provide support for this.