Unable to load seatools for DOS

I don’t know in what forum this question would be best, I hope someone knowledgeable can address it here.

I’ve got an internal WD boot drive that’s showing bad blocks as reported by my disk maintenance apps, including seatools for windows. I gather from the seatools documentation that seatools for DOS might be a able to isolate the blocks. But I’m having trouble setting up seatools for DOS. The download instructions say simply " download, burn, run." I’ve downloaded the ISO file (SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO) and burned it to a CD without trouble. But after rearranging the boot order, seatools for DOS won’t run; my machine just loads Vista as usual. I see that the DOS source file is in the file ke2035asrc.zip included in the ISO; but I don’t know where to put the files extracted from the zip to make a DOS-bootable CD. Running that DOS kernel from the separate freeDOS package gotten from sourceforge works fine, so the problem must be in seatools for DOS rather than in my machine or my procedures.

This seatools user’s guides don’t give me any help with this, I don’t understand the instructions in mkboot.txt that’s in the zip file. Can anyone point me to the next step? - Thanks, ed

Try Seagate forums

Wizer wrote:

Try Seagate forums

Seeing that my Passport SE was built around a seagate drive, I assumed that seagate was a division of WD. Foolish me. Thanks for setting me straight. I’ve found the seagate forums  & see that others have similar troubles withthe seagate fro DOS but haven’t seen any cogent replies. Maybe my more explcit post will garner some.  Will repost there by and by - no rush now since as it happens after I’s posted to WD my DVD drive decided to eat up a CD & I’ve yet to pull it to see if the drive needs to be replaced. Thanks again for the pointer.

no problem dude

edagro wrote:

Wizer wrote:

Try Seagate forums

Seeing that my Passport SE was built around a seagate drive, I assumed that seagate was a division of WD. Foolish me. Thanks for setting me straight. I’ve found the seagate forums  & see that others have similar troubles withthe seagate fro DOS but haven’t seen any cogent replies. Maybe my more explcit post will garner some.  Will repost there by and by - no rush now since as it happens after I’s posted to WD my DVD drive decided to eat up a CD & I’ve yet to pull it to see if the drive needs to be replaced. Thanks again for the pointer.

That’s not possible, unless someone changed the internal drive with a seagate and you ended up with it. 

Bill_S wrote:

edagro wrote:

Wizer wrote:

Try Seagate forums

Seeing that my Passport SE was built around a seagate drive, I assumed that seagate was a division of WD.

That’s not possible, unless someone changed the internal drive with a seagate and you ended up with it. 

You’re right, my mistake. Passport is indeed built around a WD drive; the seagate is my Dell’s boot drive. Misread the device mgr, gotta stop working thru the night.

Well, I’m glad nothing serious happened.